Chapter 43: The Four Swords of Justice

Giovanni was beyond furious when he heard what his grunt has told him. Nevertheless, he was clearly holding back whatever he wanted to let out as he faced Arndolfr who was still immobilized by fear of being electrocuted with the stun rod being pointed to his neck.

"What do you want us to do with the child, Boss?" the grunt pointing the stun rod at him asked Giovanni.

The Boss stared at Arndolfr for several more seconds while Arndolfr was left there at a loss of words. They stared at each other for a very long time. Arndolfr felt like Giovanni was trying to pierce through his soul just by using his eyes.

Finally, Giovanni ordered the grunt, "Take his Pokémon from him. I don't want him to get ideas of escaping from here."

Another grunt performed a full body check on Arndolfr then turned to his Boss, "Sir, he's not carrying any Pokéballs with him."

"Then lock him up in the deepest basement," Giovanni instructed. "Make sure there's no way for him to escape. But make no mistake: if you hurt as much as a hair on his body, you'll have to answer to me."

Before the grunt can lead Arndolfr out of the room, however, Giovanni went to him and stooped down so he was now speaking on Arndolfr's ear. There, he hissed, "Your father is a genius."

Arndolfr was still at a loss of words as the grunt led him deeper in their hideout, until they arrived at a dimly lit basement where he can barely see anything, but he could just make out the silhouettes of even more cages than he had seen back in Silph.

No sooner than Arndolfr stepped inside the storage room, the grunt slammed the door behind him and Arndolfr could clearly hear that it was being locked from the outside. Arndolfr grabbed the doorknob and tried to pry it open, but even he knew that it was useless. After that, he turned around.

The whole basement was so dim, only the silhouettes of the topmost cages were visible. Anything below that was already as dark as if there wasn't any light at all. This made Arndolfr panic slightly. He started fumbling on all of his pockets, completely forgetting that he left all his Pokémon inside his room in the Pokémon Center. But moments after furiously looking for anything in his person, something had cut his finger inside one of his pockets.

"Agh!" Arndolfr squealed as he took whatever it was that cut his finger inside his pocket. He stared at it closely and tried to identify what it was through the dark. Arndolfr then remembered that it was the mirror his mother sent him back when he was still in Saffron City. However, it was already broken in a few sharp pieces and the only thing that was left intact was its ivory backing. Nevertheless, he remembered what was written on the letter that came with it.

Even if I'm far away from you, I still know that you are extremely worried with your father, so included in the envelope is a special mirror that will enable both of us to communicate instantly. I would have sent the other mirror to Broderick, but it might not be safe for him to hold it, especially when Team Rocket is on the loose, so I'm holding on to it for now.

"M-mommy?" Arndolfr called to the mirror, then broke into a scream. "Mom! It's me, Dolph! Dad's just disappeared, and Team Rocket locked me up in their basement here under the Game Corner in Celadon City! Please, please send any kind of help as soon as you can!"

It was completely dark inside the basement, so Arndolfr had no idea if the mirror was still working, or if it actually worked in the first place. Nevertheless, he still tried to hold on the remaining shards of the mirror, making more cuts on his palms as a result.

Arndolfr had to take several calming breaths in order for him to think efficiently. He couldn't just keep the mirror's shards by themselves, so Arndolfr took his white shirt off and wrapped the shards with it before putting them back in his pocket. He then proceeded to grope his way towards the cages.