Chapter twenty four

cameron//
I hung the last string of lights on a branch and jumped off the latter. I walked backwards to take a better look at my master piece from a further distance. It was getting dark so I decided to plug in the lights, the backyard soon was lit above from every nearby tree. "Why did you turn them on? We have to save power for tomorrow," Camila told me immediately unplugging the lights letting darkness surround us again.

"I wanted to see what it looks like," I told her stuffing trash into a bag. "Well, it looks amazing. Thank you Cameron," she tells me looking around causing me to smile. It feel good to know she is finally letting me get closer to her. I want to have that normal father daughter relationship, I want to spend special days and have stupid fights with her. I want her to call me dad.

"So, what do you want for your birthday?" I ask her as we both walk inside. She stays silent for a moment thinking of an answer. "I know what I want but you'd say no and mom would never let me," she sighed putting a bag of decor on the floor and running up the stairs. I feel as if she is trying to avoid me but I'm just trying to have a close relationship with her.

I follow her up the stairs and walk into her room to her on her bed playing around on her phone. "Are you not going to tell me?" I asked and she shrugged, her attention not coming off her device. "Maybe of you tell me I'll let you get it and I won't have to tell your mom," I suggest and she looks up at me. I knew I shouldn't be keeping things from Katherine but I was desperate. Camila seems to be pushing me aside and I want her to be my main priority.

"Seriously?" She asks and I nod wanting her to tell me. What ever it was, it couldn't be terrible. "It's a tattoo," she tells me and I froze not expecting that answer. I don't u sweat and why a young girl would want a tattoo. And what would her reasoning be to getting it. "Are you sure? Cause they hurt, I've gotten a couple. You know, in jail," I tell her chuckling but she doesn't seem to find it as funny as I did.

"I mean, I've always wanted one and I don't see why not. It's not like I'm getting something huge. I just want something small and meaningful," she tells me. "What did you have in mind?" I asked sitting across from her on a near by bean bag.

"Well, I wanted something on the back of my neck say "you're beautiful". But now that I think of it, it's kind of corny," she chuckles. "As long as it means something to you, it doesn't matter how corny it may be," I told her and she gave me a small smile.

"What are some tattoos you got?" She asked me and I looked down at my arm sleeve trying to find a decent one to explain. "I've got this rose because it was your mom's favorite flower," I told her and she nodded her head. "Maybe I can get a rose," she suggested.

"I don't think it would look very good on the back of your neck, especially if no one is going to be able to see it. If you are going to get one you want it to be out in the open where people can look at you and wonder what it may mean. Or just think you're a crazy delinquent," I tell her making her laugh. "You could a small on behind your ear or if you wanted it a little bigger, maybe on your forearm," I tell her pointing out the spots.

"I'll take the ear cause mom can't know about it," she tells me. I didn't think things through completely, if I say no will she hate me? But if I say yes will she think I can give her whatever she wants? I was stuck in a corner and forgot what brought up the topic in the first place. "Maybe you should think about it, cause tattoos are permanent and I don't want you to regret it," I tell her.

"I won't, I've been wanting this for so long I don't want to wait anymore. If your worried about mom she won't get mad if she doesn't find out. And if she does I'll say I went with some friends so you're in the clear," she says but I'm still uncertain of the idea. But on the other hand, it is her birthday and turning sixteen is kind of a big deal I guess.

"I mean, it is your birthday tomorrow. I guess I can talk a friend and see if he has any openings," I said rubbing the back of my neck. "Are you serious? Thank you so much Cameron, you are the best," she jumps up in excitement and hugs me.

"Are we going now? I'll meet you in the car," she says running out of the room leaving me in this uncomfortable bean bag chair. I rub my hands over my face realizing I might have made a mistake.

She might be loving me now but later when she gets what she wants, will she feel the same way? I don't want to buy her my love. I want to get to know her more and maybe crack a dad joke every once an awhile. I won't be perfect but at least I'm trying and that's all Katherine ever wanted for me to do. It's just a tiny rose in a hidden spot, it shouldn't be easy to find. I don't know if I'm comfortable with her taking the fall either if Katherine did find out. I am in such a tight spot, but it is too late to turn back now.