Chapter seventeen

It was dark and the warm touch of contact as he lead me outside where the warm air brushed against my skin.  I didn't think out where he would take me but only what a good time I was going to experience. Since we were kids he also made every moment we spent together a memory. I knew he would never fail to make me smile nor would he fail to make it a better day. "Carter, where are we going?" I asked starting to feel impatient as we walked around.

"It's a surprise Kat," he told my tightening his grip on me as we continued to walk. He knew how impatient I was and the suspense was not helping. "Wouldn't be a surprise if I told you," he chuckled.

We continued to walk as the familiar scents of my childhood flossed my mind. I didn't think I would miss this place so much. Everything was based around my new life in California and. I didn't second think my intentions.  I felt ashamed that I had forgotten the place where I grew up and to this day I remember every inch of this city. "Can you at least me guess?" I asked.

"You were always an eager one Katherine," he chuckled. I didn't find myself eager only impatient. I've always been this way and never I have I tried to fix myself. Camila got that part of me.

"Is that a no?" I asked as we came upon soft ground. My feet sinking in with every step I took. Sand. The beach. I searched my mind thinking of every possible place along the beach. It may seem like only sand and a body of water. The pier was lined along side the ocean.

"What do you think Kat?" He asked causing me to sigh annoyance laced in my voice. My mother always told me I had an anger problem when it came to surprises or waiting. Like the child I was I disagreed with her but now I understand what she meant.

I should be more grateful Carter put in effort to take me out. I was always selfish as a child and I still am now. I try to be generous but I can't help but want things to go my way. I guess that's normal. It's our human instinct to want something but never to get it. "Okay," I told him.

"Too deep in your thoughts?" He questioned and I chuckled in response. As a teenager I would daydream often and imagine what my life would be like if my actions were different at that moment.

"You know it," I laughed as we took another turn.

"We're here," he said taking off my blindfold. We were standing upon concrete flooring that view the ocean and all the tourists walking along the pier. It was nice to see the beach without kids running around kicking sand everywhere. The ocean was blue, unbothered.

"Wow, it's better than I remembered," I say looking around as if it's he first time in seeing this. Living in Miami, my life revolved around the beach. It was the one thing that relaxed me and made me see this purpose in life.

"Do you know why I brought you here?" He asked wrapping his arms around my neck as we looked over the rails. I could never forget this place. It wasn't as pretty back then before it was now. But I could never look at this view any different.

"This was our first date," I said astonished.

"Carter if this is another one of your out of town trips I can't come. My mom grounded me for a week when I tried to sneak out last time," I informed him as he pulled my arm down the beach, the sand making it difficult to keep up.

"It isn't, but this is a special day that we've been looking forward to," he smiled looking back at me. We were just coming back from the first day of our middle school years. It's so exciting to be in such a big plans, I wonder what new paths I look forward to in high school.

"I'm sure it will be just as amazing as one of our stay at home dates," I told him as we begin to slow down.

"But those aren't actual dates. I want to take you out on a date. Our first date has to be special and I don't care how weird I sound," he says beginning to tug on my arm.