Chapter 35

It took a while, but the school day was finally over. It felt like an eternity but at least the day is done.
I pack away my things and head out of the school gates. My home was a good few minutes away, so the walk home gave me time to clear my mind before I got home.
"I just hope mothers in a good mood.." I mumble to myself, letting out a quick sign as I brush my hair away from my face.
As I walked, I decided to think over something that had been bothering me pretty much all day.
Azuma..
"Why did he talk to me all of a sudden? It's kinda strange but in a way, I'm glad he did. Chatting with him allowed me to talk about irritating things on my mind and he seemed to act as a stress reliever.."
I continue to walk, unaware that I was speaking out loud and not to myself, which I thought I was doing.
"Talking to yourself huh? That's a bit strange." A voice spoke from behind me, I gasped and spun around, coming into view was none other than-
"Azuma! H-How much, uh.. W-What are you doing here?!"
He shakes his head to me, closing his eyes as he laughs, his hair swaying as he done so. His laugh was so deep and dreamy. It made me feel fuzzy. What are you doing [Name]?! Don't feel fuzzy over him! You, you have Takuya remember.. Everything you done with him.. can't exactly turn your back on him now.. You're no longer pure and innocent because of him..
"My apologies, I didn't mean to startle you. But don't worry, I didn't hear anything you said, it was all mumbled." He raises his hands in a false surrender once he admits he never heard a thing. I exhale in relief. If he had heard me talking about him... oh how embarrassing that would be!
"If you're on your way home, may I walk with you, that is until I come to the street I must turn off at to get to my house." He smiles sweetly, tilting his head. I didn't know how I felt walking home, or, half way home with a new friend, but he seemed safe enough.
"O-Oh. Of course." I smile in return and we both continue in the direction I was originally walking to.

The walk home was very pleasant, we shared laughter and a few smiles. I had to pause from walking just to catch my breath after laughing so much. Azuma seems to be a very humours character.
"Hey Azuma. Do you like, jokes?"
He paused for a moment and looked at me confusingly, with a brow raised.
"It's just.. you seem to have a funny personality so I thought you-"
"Yes I love jokes [Name]."
"O-Oh g-great! Um..
what did the green grape say to the purple grape?.."
Azuma stared at me with a raised brow as he tried to figure the answer, instead he just shrugged.
"BREATHE!..
You know.. because.. they say when you don't breathe, you go.. purple..?"
I started to feel awkward as I knew my joke wasn't at all funny. But I startled to feel better when Azuma's face slowly lifted from confusion, into a large grin and a laughing sound burst through his gullet. I couldn't tell if he was milking it just to be nice because of how bad it was, or if he actually found it funny.
Once he calmed down, he named to speak, during outbreaks of giggles.
"Sorry, I find the bad jokes the most funny!
Hey! Here's a bad one.
Why is six afraid of seven?"
I was shocked by his reaction. My joke was rubbish, but because of how bad it really was, it he actually enjoyed it.
"I. I don't know-"
"Because seven ate nine!"
He bursts out laughing at his own joke, but seeing him so happy and hyper, actually caused me to laugh as well, which made me happy.
"Okay, one more one more." He shushed us both, trying to keep his cool.
"Why are pirates called pirates?"
I pondered what the answer could be as I stared at his eager face. If he was sat down, he would be sitting in the edge of his seat.
"I don't know-"
"Because they aarrrrrrrrrr!" He says in his best pirate accent, squinting his right eye, leaving only the golden yellow to be on show.
The pair of us laughed more and more. This side of Azuma was so unexpected. When he talks, he seems so mature like an adult. Yet he acts like a child when it comes to his funny side. It was a weird contrast, but I liked it, it was enjoyable.

As we laughed and exchanged jokes, we continued down the path until we came to a junction.
"Well, this is where I turn off. It's been a pleasure walking with you, [Name]."
He smiles, squinting his eyes, his hair falling in front of his face slightly.
"Yes it has, thank you Azuma."
He nodded and headed off down a different path to the one I was on, waving until finally turning around and walking normally.
I smiled to myself, continuing in my path all the way home. Although, on the rest of my journey, I felt like I was being watched. Which creeped me out so i rushed home quickly.

"I'm home mother." Was the first thing I said as I entered the house, closing the door behind me.
"Welcome home, what would you like for dinner later?"
She asks, walking towards me with a warm smile.
"Oh um. Anything, I don't mind what we have today."
"Okay then, it'll be a surprise."
I nod and head upstairs to my room, laying down in my bed. As I lay there, I think about my day with Azuma and how much the whole situation was confusing me. Soon enough, I was lost in thought until I was brought back to reality but my mother calling my name.
"[Name]! There's someone here for you!"
I rise from my bed with a confused  expression as I leave my room.
Who could be here to see me? Azuma doesn't know where I live and I haven't seen Asumi since this morning..
I head downstairs and my eyebrows raise when I see Takuya standing by my front door.
"Hello [Name]. I wondered if you wanted to go for a walk."