Chapter 22: Wake up

I woke up. That was good. I wasn't sure why I thought I wouldn't? I felt some cool inconstant brush on my cheek. I opened my eyes and saw Mari above me, asleep on the couch, sitting up. I moved up, cringing at the crook in my neck as I rubbed it out. I looked down at Mari, and pulled a blanket over her shoulders.

It was early, the sun hadn't even really broken th horizon yet, but I went to shower anyway. I touched my hair, making a face at the way it felt. Why did hair have to get dirty so quickly? I opened my bathroom door and turned the water of the shower on, humming something as I opened a door, retrieving my tooth brush before brushing my teeth. I lifted my phone, that was charging in the bathroom, as the water started to steam, scrolling through the various texts before ignoring them all and shutting my phone off.

I got into the shower, smiling at the hot water. This was nice. I could have ten minutes under the water to think about nothing but... nothing. I smiled and let my eyes close. 'A snake...' My eyes flashed open as I felt a twist in my gut. I looked down at my stomach.

"I hate you." I said to the probable snake. Could Medusa... or whoever hear me through the snake? That was a little disconcerting. I finished in the shower, my one remaining sacred thing ruined by my troubles. Poor me. I toweled off, coaxing myself into a better mood. I heard Mari swear once, and looked into the living room as I started brushing my hair.

"(Y/n)! Call off your dog! He's licking me!" She yelled, and I started laughing. "Skye!" she said helplessly.

I walked into the room a few minutes later, dressed, and braiding my hair. She looked tired but somehow still presentable as Skye licked her face before seeing me and scampering over. I whooshled his face with pets, grinning down at him. I looked at Mari, seeing her fix her bangs and I gaped a little as I watched visible magic wash over her, her clothing changing. She was now in a black dress, long sleeves reaching down to her wrists while it ended above her knees, her usual leather jacket sitting on the coffee table.

"That's handy." I said, and she laughed. I walked into the kitchen, getting food for Skye as I pondered my refrigerator. I had a jar of jam, an old sandwich. I made a face. I set Skye's food down and looked at the pill container on the counter. I reached in and pulled out a few of the vitamins as Stein had instructed.

"I'll buy you breakfast this morning." Mari said, leaning over my counter and looking at my fridge. Her eyes were bright blue right now, matching her hair. I knew that it was magic over them, hiding the eerie black color they really were. I didn't know why this didn't bother me.

"Okay." I said, walking and pulling my jacket off the hook by the door, snatching Skye's leash, which I didn't really plan on using, from the counter. "I won't complain!" Skye followed me, Mari laughing as I pushed the door open. I didn't lock it, leaving my keys in the apartment. The security was super high, and it wasn't as if I had anything that was really worth anything in the apartment. There were far more interesting things in, say, the infirmary. Lots of jars of things, I'd discovered.

Mari linked her arm into mine, Skye running ahead of us in the hallway. It was barely six. I supposed that I had a free pass from Stein to not go to class, and Mari never really went anyway. I cringed as I thought about all the classes I'd missed recently. Honestly, I couldn't really care. Sitting in a class room and listening to Stein go on about subject he even sounded bored with was beyond insufferable. And anyways, I didn't want to have to think about trivial things like that. I let out a sigh, realizing how I sounded.

"Hey!" a voice called from down the hall, and Mari and I turned to see James's bright face from a little ways away. I smiled as I saw his grin. "I thought I could sense you two leaving. Breakfast?" He asked as he reached us.