Chapter 5: Partner

After a few days, I was feeling a bit better. Stein had told me just to stay in the infirmary, and to not do anything. But it seemed that my friends ignored that completely. They came in everyday during lunch and brought me food, careful not to give me too much. It seemed that my stomach had shrunk a considerable amount when I was...

Where had I been again? I set the book I had been trying to read down, looking at my hands. There were bandages on them to cover a few of the scars that I got from... where had I gotten them from? My head started hurting, and I placed my fingers on one of my temples.

"(Y/n)?" Stein's voice said, and he rolled over on his chair, pulling the curtain back a little to see me. He had a cigarette in between his lips, and he clicked his screw a few times, looking me over. "Are you okay?" he asked.

I nodded, the headache starting to go away. He rolled his chair next to my bed as I lifted my book again, my hands quivering a little. He had a teacher text book in his hands, and he turned a page as I looked at the page of my book. It was a textbook as well, the one for Crescent Moon class, and Stein nodded in approval.

I took the pad of paper next to my bed and the pencil on top of it, and scrolled a note on it in my (neatness of handwriting) letters. Stein took the notepad and read what I had written.

We had established that my voice wasn't going to come back any time soon, for unknown reasons. So we had developed this way of communication for me over the past day or so. It had been Soul's idea, during my first and so far, only class.

Stein looked up me. "You asked why I wasn't teaching class today?" he said. I nodded. He sat back, his lips curving up a little in a smile. "Very clever." He said, and turned another page in his textbook. "Marie is teaching the class today. She's better at the more 'lesson from the book' type of stuff." He said. I looked at him, wondering why he had one of the textbooks.

"I'm better at teaching things about the body or fighting." He said, and sighed, tapping his cigarette on an ash tray on the window sill. "So, Marie had me stay here in the infirmary and study one of the books so maybe one day, I can teach one of the book lessons." He said. He grinned a little. "She's a little crippled by the book ,in my opinion. I teach from personal experience, but it seems that she thinks that the students need a certain amount of book education." He said, beginning to ramble a bit.

I looked back down at my book, reading a few lines about resonating with a partner. I looked out the window, watching rain spatter the glass, as Stein continued speaking, starting to talk about dissections. I wondered when I would find a partner? If anyone would be my partner...

"Hello!" a voice said, and I looked up to the open curtain around my bed to see the door slamming open to show my friends. It was getting cold outside during the day, even raining today, so all of my friends wore extra coats or something of the such. Except for Black Star, who had insisted yesterday that he didn't need coats because rain couldn't defeat him.

Mari, who was wearing her usual all black with a striped grey and green scarf ran up to me, crushing me with a hug. "How are you feeling today, (Y/n)?" she asked, pulling away and looking at me with her blue eyes. I had gotten more used to them, the blue only being a kind of veil over her actual color, which she hadn't shown me yet. I knew it was something dark though, but I didn't know if I wanted to see it.

I shrugged, looking over to where Stein had been sitting, only to see my notebook at the edge of my bed with the pencil on top of it. I took it into my hands and wrote in big letters, "Better". Everyone smiled and took spots around my bed.