Chapter 19: Memories

I couldn't sleep. Slowly, like a creeping predator, the panic and fear in my chest had built, and I had begun to get scared. I'd already pinned a sheet over the tall mirror across from my bed to hide the image of what I was. I was terrified, of myself.

I was walking circles in my bedroom, shaking my hands out and trying to shake the full-fledged anxiety attack shaking my entire body. I looked at my hands, willing my skin to turn back to normal from the black and cracked flesh. It didn't help either that random flashes of the strange memories I didn't know were clouding my thoughts too. Why was everything crashing down all at once?

I knew that even though it was nearly four in the morning, someone would notice the strange soul in the student dorms. The security, if anything. I knew the DWMA had meisters on part time duty. "Damnit..." I whispered, my voice sounding strange and alien even to me. It was like there was someone else's voice box in my throat. Deeper. Quieter but... deadlier.

I looked at my phone on my bedside table, my thoughts running at lightning speed. If someone found me, I would want it to be someone who wouldn't kill me on sight. But who? I looked out my window into the sleeping city, my heart starting to pound in my ears. I looked away from that reflection, too. I was terrifying. I would kill me on sight if I didn't know.

I lifted my phone, taking in a breath as my chest hurt bad from the stress of everything. I was about to click on someone's number when another flash of the memories poured over me. I fell to my knees, the images actually hurting this time.

"(Y/n)." a voice said. I looked up through the darkness, not seeing anyone. I touched my face, felling the tears that were streaming down my cheeks. "(Y/n)." the voice said again... Mari?

"Mari. They're all dead." I said, my voice echoing in whatever place we were in. I couldn't see anything.

"I know." I heard Mari cry, his voice breaking as she mumbled the names of all of our friends.

"It's my fault." I said, and my voice broke. She hugged me, his tears dripping down onto my cheeks as she shook. She whispered 'no.' over and over again into my ear, and about how 'it was all Arachne's fault'. I didn't feel anything.

Mari was saying something else now, maybe a ray of hope in her words. "(Y/n)... I could fix everything. I could turn it all back." Her wavering voice said. "I don't know... like a different time line. You'd be different, changed, maybe not even a weapon. You might be something twisted like a keshin or a demon even, but everything would be okay again. Right again. And I'd remember." She said. "I could find you and make you remember everything."

I looked down at the person held in my arms. For some reason, I couldn't see their features. There was too much blood, and it was too dark. "Would he be there again?" I asked, and she nodded. "Okay. Do it." I said, wiping my tears.

Magic began to pour around us, Mari's magic, dark and sweeping about me like caressing hands. Pain tore through me, but it was calm, and then everything was bright and...

I gasped and dropped my phone to the floor, gasping for air as my entire body shook. I looked at my hands, seeing how they were shaking uncontrollably in the dark of my room. Everything was completely quiet, Skye scratching at my door where I pushed and then locked him out. I held a hand over my mouth, holding in a scream as the pain wracked my mind, burning and leaving a path through my memories. The pieces flowing into my mind seemed to stick and force themselves to be mine.

I lifted the phone again and hit the call button for the number on the screen. I waited, shaking, until the person picked up. "(Y/n)? Why are you calling at four in the morning?" Stein asked.