Chapter 21: Snakes

I was able to go home the next day, feeling much better now. Stein had checked in on me, and said that I would be fine to stay in my apartment, as long as I got plenty of rest and tried not to do too much physical exertion, the man signing me out of PE for the next week or so.

I sighed, putting my book into my bag, my stomach twisting slightly with an uncomfortable feeling. I hadn't exactly told Stein about it, or the small coughing fits that usually ending with me wiping some blood off onto the sheets. I honestly just didn't think much of it. I guess that after you went through some of the things I'd been through things seemed less important.

I tried to think back to before I'd gotten to the academy, and found only jumbled memories. I thought I could remember some dark place, and pain, so much pain, but other than that, anything before being brought to the academy was fuzzy and I couldn't make sense of it. Not to mention the almost "cracked" memories that were now pushing themselves into my mind.

I shouldered my bag up onto myself and felt a cough coming on. I moved my hand to my lips and took in a breath, waiting to cough, and then flinched as I did, cringing. I didn't wait to see the blood that had to be on my fingertips. I walked to the door and stepped out into the hallway. Everyone was out, it being the weekend and all. My friends had texted me about plans, and I'd declined all of them, saying I needed rest. Honestly, I just needed time to think. Think about everything.

I walked through he hallways until I reached my apartment. I unlocked it and stepped inside, set my book bag down and going and laying down on the ouch. Skye wasn't here, so I figured that Black Star had taken him out for a walk or something. I let my eyes close, letting my mind swirl about and try to make sense of the odd, twisted memories going through my mind.

There was a faint nock on the door probably forty minutes later, and I jumped a little, having been asleep. I sat up too quickly and my head spun some since I'd just been asleep. I looked around and let out a sigh. I was in my house. It was fine. Whoever was at the door knocked again and I jumped a little, standing and walking to the door.

I opened it and looked at the person standing there. Well, looked up, it was Stein so he was very tall. "Professor?" I asked, rubbing my eye. Marie moved out from behind Stein, and I became even more confused. "Marie?" I asked.

Stein nodded. "(Y/n)." he said. "We need to tell you something about the witch that infiltrated the DWMA earlier." He said. I moved so they could come inside. They sat down on the couch and I sat in one of the armchairs. I didn't say anything as Stein and Marie seemed to have a silent conversation with each other. Stein finally turned to me. "The witch is one that the Academy has had to deal with for a while, Medusa, the snake witch." He said. The words meant nothing to me. "She's put one of her snakes in you." He said.

This didn't make much sense. How was there a snake in me? "A snake?" I said, thinking that I was still half sleep and this was just some joke. I felt a twinge in my chest, and I flinched a little.

Stein noticed it. "I know that it's a little odd to think about, but..." he trailed off for some reason. He pulled something from his bag, a notebook, and began to scrawl things on it. "Has anything having to do with that other problem come up?" he said. It had only been a few days ago that I'd turned into that thing again. I shook my head, my throat hurting.

Stein wrote a few more things down on his page, and then sat back, an unreadable expression on his face. "Oh." He said.

"What?" Marie said, sounding short. "Something good please." She said, reaching over and putting a hand on my knee.