Chasing After You (Michael Clifford) - Part 2

Start from the beginning

"You want your mystery girl to attend," the Captain smiled knowingly, "That's why you're wanting everyone to be invited."

"If my father just meets her, I know he'll like her!" Michael exclaimed softly, "It's worth a shot!"

"And what if he doesn't, Your Highness?" Michael sighed for a moment before throwing his arms up.

"Then I'll run away with her!" he concluded, "And we'll start a new life together free of rules and royal regulations!"

"Sure, you will," he chuckled.

~

Your POV

"I don't understand why you stay with them," your best friend said as you two were walking around the town square.

"I've told you already, Luke," you sighed, "My parents built a house they loved so I could grow up in it; I can't just abandon it."

"I would hardy call it your parents' house anymore," he shook his head, "The only thing Clara didn't change about it was the structure itself. If I hadn't known what it looked like before your parents passed, I would think you were certifiably insane."

"You still think I'm certifiably insane," you snickered, shoving him with your elbow.

"And speaking of thinking you're certifiably insane, would you mind telling me about this little encounter you had this morning again, please?"

"Luke," you groaned.

"I'm just trying to understand your logic here!" he defended, "Because if I were to meet some stranger in the woods at 8:30 in the morning, I wouldn't automatically assume he was my soulmate."

"I did not say he was my soulmate!" you squeaked, shoving him again.

"But you do think he's the dreamiest boy you've ever laid your eyes on," he sighed dramatically, placing his hand over his heart.

"This is why I don't tell you anything," you remarked.

"Come on, Y/N," Luke shook his head, "He lives at the palace; How do you think you're ever going to see him again?" You were silent for a moment – you hadn't thought about seeing him again would happen – but luckily, you didn't have to think for long.

"Attention!" someone called out, making everyone look over at where the voice was coming from. You didn't know who it was, but with the way he was dressed, he was definitely from the palace. "If I could have your attention, please!" he said again, waiting until everyone was done whispering amongst each other to continue. "There will be a royal ball held at the palace this Saturday night!" he informed everyone, "Upon request of the young Prince Michael, everyone in the kingdom – be they noble or commoner – will be invited to attend!"

Your heart skipped a beat at the announcement but also... Prince Michael? That couldn't be who you met in the woods that morning... Could it?

"Huh," Luke said, bringing you back to reality, "I guess you could see your mystery soulmate again after all." The four men who came along with the announcer began handing out envelopes with the invitations and as soon as you got yours, you knew you had to go home to begin searching for a dress.

"I'll see you later, Lu!" you said, not even giving him a chance to say goodbye before you running in the direction of your house, leaving him shaking his head with a chuckle and continuing about his day.

As you approached your home, you thought about not telling your step-family but, in the end, you knew you had to. After the ball was over, you would still have to live with them, and you really did not want your life to get any worse than it already was by making them angry.

"Hello?!" you called out as you opened the door, "Where is everybody?!"

"What is it, Y/N?" Clara rolled her eyes, coming into the room with your step-sisters.

"I just thought you'd like to read this invitation from the palace," you said. The moment you mentioned it was from the palace, Kathryn and Abigail practically fought each other to take it from your hand before Clara plucked it out of all three of your grasps.

"A royal ball..." Clara murmured, then looked at her...biological...daughters, "A royal ball! Girls! Go get ready! We must buy you new dresses immediately!" The girls were only just stepping onto the staircase when they froze as you spoke up.

"What about me?" you asked softly, making everyone look at you.

"What about you?" Clara asked.

"Mother!" Abigail laughed, "Does she actually think she's going to the ball?"

"What a laughable concept!" Kathryn chimed in, "Y/N going to a royal ball!"

"It says everyone in the kingdom is invited," you reminded them, "And I am in the kingdom."

"Of course," Clara said with a crooked grin, "You may go."

"Mother!" the girls exclaimed, only to stop when Clara held her hand up to shush them.

"You may go to the ball," she continued, "But only if you can find a dress on time." You smiled brightly, hurrying past the girls to go to your room in the attic to get ready.

"Mother, you can't be serious!" Abigail whined when you were out of earshot.

"Get ready!" Clara whispered roughly, "Hurry up!" Abigail and Kathryn looked at each other before the corners of their mouths started curling up into an evil grin, now knowing what their mother was trying to do.

It hadn't even been two minutes before you were coming back down the stairs, hearing the front door slam shut. Your eyes widened, running the rest of the way and opening the door just as your step-family was getting into the carriage, laughing as they were taken toward town without you.

You watched in shock for a moment – not really in disbelief because you should have known they weren't actually going to allow you to go with them – before you reentered your house. You closed the door and began walking back up the stairs in determination – if you weren't going to be allowed to buy a new dress for the ball, you were going to do everything in your power to make your own.

~

inspiration: Cinderella (2015)