Same Mistakes (Maxx Danziger) - Part 1 *

this was supposed to be a full band imagine based on song lyrics but ur girl got carried away again as usual

Please take caution to the fact that this has both emotional and physical abuse mentions/scenes, so if that triggers you in any way, please don't read this

~

When he says those words that hurt you
Do you read the ones I wrote you?

Maxx always thought about what he would do if the roles were reversed – what he would do about another man treating you the way his new girlfriend treated him. It wasn't a difficult choice; He would obviously do whatever he could to get you out of the relationship and somewhere safer – whether that was with him or not.

You'd broken up with him ten months ago – up and left with a mere 'see you later, sorry I can't be with you anymore'. He saw you around town every once in a while. You seemed fine enough from what he could tell – he never had any reason to suspect that the breakup affected you as much as it did him.

He tried to move on – God knows he tried – but there was always a part of him that clung onto you. He couldn't get you out of his head no matter how badly he wanted to. He had letters you'd written for him to read when he was still in a band and he was on the road, missing home. He would read them a lot – at least one letter every day, to be honest.

Maybe that was why he ended up where he was now.

Brittany was alright – not usually his type but, at this point, he was just trying to forget you. She was nice enough, but that was only when other people were around.

It was your typical emotionally abusive relationship – Brittany would make some passive-aggressive comment about his hair or outfit or 'you're wearing your glasses today?', and Maxx would sit there and take it. He didn't understand why she hated his glasses so much, but he rarely ever wore them anymore because of it. He remembered wearing his glasses every day when he was with you – you loved the way he looked with them on. But he didn't have you anymore, and he had to let it go.

Brittany rarely ever hit him. Rarely.

She'd done it a few times though, telling Maxx that if he would just do as he was told, she wouldn't have to hit him. But even when he knew it was wrong – even when he knew she had no real reason to get physical with him – Maxx never hit her back. No matter what she did to him, he refused to touch her, and she used every bit of that to her advantage.

He went out one afternoon because... Well, because Brittany wasn't home – something about going to visit her mother – and Maxx desperately needed to just get out of the house. Luckily for him, her mom lived two hours away, so he knew he'd have at least six hours to himself.

Brittany had left a pretty nasty bruise on his right cheekbone four days before and it seemed like it was only getting darker. It hadn't even been his fault – she was just mad that she couldn't find any batteries for the remote, so she hit him. She told him that if he'd remembered to buy them in the first place, she wouldn't have had to do it. Then again, when did she ever have to hit him?

Maxx dug through the drawers in the bathroom, looking for Brittany's makeup bag. When he finally found it, he pulled out her concealer and powder, getting to work on covering the purple mark.

He'd learned the trick from you – you laughed as you explained what you were doing, covering the bruise on your nose after running into a door right before your sister's wedding started. He was amazed when you were finished – it looked like nothing had happened at all. And that was how he covered up what was happening to him.