Playing It Safe (Ashton Irwin)

this is something i posted for a best friends!5sos blurb night on tumblr and im too impatient to wait until tomorrow to post it on here so. sorry??????

also sorry if there are any mistakes but u know ur girl's never proofread before and she's not about to start now ¯\_()_/¯

~

It was Friday night and you were standing on the sidewalk outside of a house that hosted yet another party, waiting for an Uber. You couldn't really say you went to these things every weekend, but that didn't mean they weren't just as mentally draining. But your best friend asked you to go and you'd said no every time he'd asked you for the last three months, so you figured you could just suck it up for him.

You had known Ashton for about 5 years now – meeting when he grabbed something for you off of a shelf you couldn't reach in the grocery store. You never really felt comfortable around strangers, but something about Ashton made you feel at home. And you'd been best friends ever since.

But that wasn't to say you didn't enjoy the parties Ashton invited you to – any time you got to spend with Ashton was worth it in your book. And the Uber rides home, where you were wearing his sweater because you didn't bring one of your own even though he'd told you you were going to get cold before you left your house, were your favorite parts of those nights.

Your Uber had just turned the corner when Ashton found you looking up with a look on your face. He cocked his eyebrow knowingly at you.

"I told you to bring one," he said, just as he did every time you did this.

"But I didn't," you replied innocently.

"You never do."

"And I never will," you shook your head. Ashton rolled his eyes, but pulled his hoodie over his head anyway, handing it to you. "Thank you, Ash," you smiled brightly, kissing his cheek.

"What would you do without me?" he chuckled, watching you put his hoodie on.

"Freeze?" you suggested, earning yourself a nod from him.

"You're lucky you have me," he said, wrapping his arm around you and pulling you into him.

"I know," you murmured into his shirt while the car pulled up in front of you.

As you sat in the back of the Uber, you were watching the houses fly by the window. Your mind was racing and you were close to tears, but you held them in. This wasn't an uncommon occurrence though – you sitting in silence, the idea of your best friend never reciprocating your feelings for him or even laughing at you if you ever gained the courage to tell him about them honestly making you feel sick to your stomach.

But when you felt a head fall on your shoulder and looked at Ashton as he snored softly, you couldn't help the one tear that slipped down your cheek. You quickly wiped it away with the sleeve of Ashton's hoodie, but it was too late – the driver already saw you.

"You should tell him," he said lowly as to not wake up the sleeping boy, making you look up to find that he was already looking at you in the rearview mirror.

"There's nothing to tell," you whispered.

"You know," he said, looking back at the road so he could make a left turn, "My daughter used to say the same thing about her best friend."

"'Used to'?"

"Yeah – things have changed a little though."

"How?"

"She married her," he smiled slightly, "Three years ago."

"That's different," you mumbled, "She was probably her wife's type."