Let Me In (Cody Carson)

i'm aware it's awful. you don't need to tell me.

~

"Hey, Y/N!" your neighbor chirped as you were leaving your apartments at the same time one morning. He came over to you and furrowed his eyebrows. "God, you look awful-" His eyes widened when you glared at him. "-ly lovely today...is what I was going to say..." he quickly saved himself, only to earn an eye roll from you.

"Sure, you were," you grumbled.

"Why are you so grumpy today?" he frowned.

"Didn't get much sleep."

"Why not?" You looked at him incredulously for a moment.

"Well, my neighbor and his girlfriend were having what sounded like a college-style rave until 5am," you answered.

"Oh..." he chuckled nervously, "Right... Sorry..."

"I get that you two are like, nocturnal or something, but can you at least try to have a little respect for the other people in this building?" you said, sounding a little harsher than you meant to, "I can't move out until my lease ends in November."

"Move out?" he furrowed his eyebrows, "You can't move out!"

"I can't keep running on only three hours of sleep either, Cody," you sighed.

"We'll keep it down," he nodded rapidly, "I promise."

~

Six months later

Cody kept his promise to you – he and his girlfriend still did the same things they'd been doing, but it was much quieter and allowed you to finally start getting enough sleep again.

But something seemed off the last few weeks.

Those late nights of listening to music and dancing around the apartment seemed to just stop and you hadn't seen Cody in what felt like years. He would always come out in the hallway and greet you when he heard you leaving for work, but now, it was like his apartment was a ghost town. You didn't hear anything coming from or going into the place next door, and you'd be lying if you said it wasn't starting to worry you.

That Saturday evening, after returning home from running errands all day, you decided to check on Cody. You changed into a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt, grabbing your phone and key. You went the six feet to Cody's door and began knocking.

A few minutes passed without hearing anything. You knew for a fact he was home because you could hear his TV on as you were changing.

"Cody?!" you called out, "Cody, I know you're home! Answer the door!"

After 5 more minutes of knocking with no response, you stopped. You let out a defeated sigh, resting your forehead on the door frame.

"Cody..." you said softly, not knowing whether or not he could hear you, "Please just let me in... You're scaring me..."

When you didn't hear anything after another minute or so, you decided to go back to your own apartment. However, right before you stepped away from the door, it opened.

One look at Cody was all you needed to know that he hadn't slept properly in months and he had clearly spent all that time crying. Your heart dropped at the sight of him, but you didn't even get to ask him what was wrong before he grabbed your hand and pulled you into his apartment.

He closed the door behind you before spinning back around, throwing his arms around your waist and burying his face in your neck. Your hand found the back of his head immediately, running your fingers through his hair, while your other arm wrapped around his neck.