Secret Santa (Ashton Irwin)

it's way too late for this (or early. however you wanna look at it)

~

This year, the senior class president decided to hold a Secret Santa for the entire grade. You hated the idea honestly – buying a present for someone you may have no clue about or what their interests are – but being a senior, you had to do it. So when Shelby came into your English class and asked the seniors to come pick a name from the hat, you trudged over, pulled out a slip of paper, and went back to your seat.

"Who did you get?" your best friend whispered as she leaned over your shoulder from her spot behind you. You unfolded the piece of paper and sighed.

"Ashton Irwin," you answered.

Ashton Irwin was the stereotypical and cliché popular kid in the school. The senior had never so much as smiled in your direction before as far as you were concerned. However, that wasn't to say you had no idea what to get him. He was in a band with three boys from another school in the area – the drummer, to be exact. Whenever you saw him, he was always drumming his fingers on something – whether it was a desk, a cafeteria tray, or the hips of whatever girl was on his arm that week.

But that wasn't to say that Ashton Irwin didn't see you at all. You never noticed him staring at you at lunchtime when you were laughing with your friends about some dumb joke one of you made. You never noticed when his friends smacked his shoulder because he was 'being incredibly obvious about his crush on you'. You never noticed that, while he was frequently seen with other girls, the only girl he really actually liked was you.

"You got Ashton?!" Kristin whispered, a huge smile on her face.

"That's what I said," you rolled your eyes.

"What if he gets your name?" she sighed dramatically.

"Kris, do you know how many seniors there are?" you murmured, "There's no way we'd get each other's names." She sat back in her chair and pouted.

"Why can't you just play into my fantasies once in a while?" she whined, making you giggle quietly.

Ashton's POV

"This is totally archaic!" Ashton's friend, Ryan, groaned when Shelby came into the room.

"What could possibly be archaic about a Secret Santa?" Ashton laughed, pulling a slip of paper out of the hat.

"Who even does this anymore?!"

"Plenty of people still do Secret Santas, Ry," Shelby smiled, holding the hat out for him.

"Shelby," Ryan stated loudly, reaching his hand in, "I want you and everyone in this room to know that I'm only doing this because you're my neighbor and you know where I live."

"And you don't want her to back out of your date on Friday," Ashton pointed out.

"That too," he nodded, making everyone laugh. 

"I wouldn't be able to back out of the date anyway, Ash," she giggled, "We're neighbors; He knows where I live." She left the room with a small wave, thanking the teacher for his time.

"Let me see who you got!" Ryan said, grabbing for the paper Ashton was holding. He quickly retracted his arm before Ryan could get it.

"Stop it!" he scolded, opening up the paper, "I got Mitchell Hicks."

"You can keep him," Ryan said, leaning back in his seat.

"Who'd you get?"

"Maria Torres."