This Town (Jack Barakat) - Part 2

After meeting the King, Queen, and Princess – which went a lot more smoothly than you thought it was going to, to be honest – Jack showed you around the castle. You looked around in awe – and in a bit of jealousy as well, knowing you'd never have anything like this – while your brothers immediately – and unsurprisingly – were entranced by the game room.

Jack insisted that you all play at least one game before dinner, but you declined, saying you were never good at video games. Honestly though, you just wanted to be alone.

Jack told you that you could explore by yourself for a while and that he'd come find you when they were done. You smiled slightly before leaving the room and doing exactly that.

Not too long later – about 30 minutes or so – you found yourself outside in the garden. It was a beautiful setup – tall hedges in the background and a path leading to the fountain in the middle of the yard. You didn't go that far, however, deciding to take in the entire scenery from the castle porch.

You sat down on the top step, just thinking about everything you'd been through recently. The loss of your parents was understandably tough on you – and to lose both of them at the same time was even worse – and you'd be lying if you said you weren't still grieving over it three years later. And to know that your own brothers didn't even want you around anymore because of it? You weren't sure it could get much worse, honestly.

All you wanted at this point was stability – a place to call your own, a job you could go to every day to keep yourself busy, and enough money to feed yourself for more than one meal a day. You wanted to leave the kingdom – maybe even the country – and start a new life. But to do that, you would need a lot of money, and you had no idea how you were going to accomplish that on your own.

"Y/N," you felt Shawn nudged you gently, making you jump, "You okay?"

Your head shot up to look at both of your brothers, who were both now standing behind you. You then sighed, looking back at the garden.

"I can't actually leave yet," you mumbled, more to yourself than to either of them.

"Yet?" he replied, confusion written all over both their faces.

"I'm gonna find a job," you said, "And I'm gonna save up and move out and get new clothes and then we'll all be happy again."

"Again?" Charlie shook his head, "Y/N, what are you-" He cut himself off when you stood up and walked off of the porch, going into the garden and sitting down on the concrete of the fountain. He looked at Shawn and the older boy shrugged, and they both shook it off as Jack came outside.

Jack's POV

"Where's Y/N?" the Prince asked, earning curious looks from your brothers.

They both pointed out into the garden where you were in clear view from the porch. Jack was about to go sit with you when your brother's voice stopped him.

"I know you're the Prince and all," Shawn said, "But Y/N is our sister first, and we will hurt you if you hurt her."

"How would I hurt her?" Jack asked with a small tilt of the head.

"We see the way you look at her," Charlie told him.

"Sounds like you really care about her."

"She's our sister. Of course we care about her."

"She seems to think otherwise," Jack informed them.

"Why would she think that?" Shawn furrowed his eyebrows.