Chapter Twenty-One - The Siege of the North: Part 1

Start from the beginning

Both Iris and Aang glared at the blue City of the Northern Water Tribe. They didn't speak. Neither of them was in mood to do so. As the overwhelming silence filled the atmosphere, Iris couldn't be more grateful for Chief Arnook saying from behind...

"The stillness before battle is... unbearable. Such a quiet dread," Arnook said and Katara came on the other side placing her hand on Iris's shoulder and giving her a smile. Iris forced a smile back at her friend.

Aang woke up "I wasn't there when the Fire Nation attacked my people, I'm gonna make a difference this," he said determinedly.

Everything was set. The Northern Water Tribe Warriors had been waiting on the wall. Appa with Aang on his head stood in the middle. Katara and Sokka on the other side of Aang and Iris stood right in front of Appa looking coldly on the horizon everyone stared at.

Suddenly a fireball came flying towards them. It would fall right on the spot Iris stood on and it would destroy half of the wall. Iris jumped from the wall and she flew right towards it. She used her air bending to dodge it and change its direction back to the sea.

The warriors were surprised to see her flying without any contraption and most of them found her abilities amazing. But she didn't care, they had work to do. One Fire Navy ship could be seen, coming towards the Tribe with raised speed.

"Common, Aang!" Iris said and she started flying toward it as quick as she could.

She let herself fall in the sea. After reaching a good spaced altitude underwater, she created the water-tornado. She reached higher than the ships and, still, close enough to get to them. She created a small spiky, icy mountain beneath the Fire Navy ship cutting it in the middle.

She remained on the tornado and she moved a bit further along with Aang who was flying on Appa. There could be seen hundreds of other Fire Navy ships. Her eyes widened, she had never seen so many Fire Navy ships before. She was willing to bet that Zhao would be in one of them and she hoped she'd find him and kill him.

After some long minutes of taking out Fire Navy ships and keeping a close look on her brother's safety, she finally caught a glimpse of Zhao. She knew that the Water Tribe mission was to get in his ship and ambush him. But she suddenly saw Hahn, who was supposed to lead the mission, falling off the ship.

Idiot! She thought exasperatedly. She got off her tornado jumping on the ship's tower coming face to face with Zhao. Maybe killing their General would stop the fight.

But before she was able to get closer, Appa came with Aang on his head and he said "Iris, common! They're pausing the fight!"

She turned around and she looked at the sky. Of course, the sun had set and the moon was nearly full. The Fire Nation soldiers would be slaughtered from the water benders.

She flew right back on Appa's saddle and they flew together with Aang. Aang was exhausted and panicked, altogether. He didn't know what to do to save an entire civilization, dealing with all these people with only his sister. She sat beside him on the saddle and she passed her left hand around his shoulders, noticing worried look on his face. Aang let his head rest on her shoulder.

"How are we going to do this, Iris?" Aang asked desperately.

She sighed desperately as well "I don't know, Aang,"

"We'll never win this fight," Aang said desperately.

"We have to,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Aang!" Katara shouted pointing on Appa flying towards them and landing nearby. "Iris!"

Both Katara and Yuen walked towards Appa, Aang and Iris. Aang collapsed on his knees and Iris sat beside him on the ground. Both scared, exhausted and desperate.