Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"I did, amigo." I step forward. He quickly holds up his hand. "Okay, okay! I'll drop it."

I tell the dogs to stay here until April wakes up. Quietly, putting on a shirt, we both exit the library. I asked Theo how he knew I was here. Jackson saw April and I approaching the library while he was in his car with Ines —

"Okay," I interceded.

"I know, right." He shivers in disgust. "That's why I don't get into his Maserati, bro."

"As if you won't do it with Naila in your Audi."

He fires a glare. "She knows I like her now. Thanks."

"I did a favour. Now you can hold hands and skip-skip and kiss-kiss into the sunset."

We worked out in the gym for an hour. He left to wash up. I went into the guys' dorm and meditated for thirty minutes, followed by a quick read. In the parlour, the first floor above hustles and bustles of the girls darting to the bathroom. I tell them to quieten down as April is sleeping, and Jasmine replies with a thumbs-up.

"You definitely like her."

"Theo, you're really pissing me off."

"Derek likes who?" says Jackson, fresh off shorts and a hoodie.

"April," responds Theo. "They were sleeping in the library."

Jackson smirks. "I knew it. I knew something was up."

"You can be crazy all you want—"

Theo jabs a finger at me, staring at Jackson. "Man calls us crazy."

"You definitely like her," clarifies Jackson.

"Not—in—that—way," I say brusquely, almost growling. "She's just a friend."

"You stuttered," observed Jackson. "Yeah, you're simping hard, bro."

"You don't feel anything?" pesters Theo. "You don't feel like being Juliet's Romeo right now?"

"I'm not my fucking father."

Tanner, who has been listening to our conversation from the kitchen, erupts into laughter. "Derek, your dad is going to haunt you!"

Theo beckons my brother over. "Help us out, amigo. Let's get this guy to confess."

These boys won't listen.

"You're all bloody annoying."

Tanner saunters into the living room, sitting on the lounge. "Look, big guy, we just think something is going on. You took April to the rooftop and you probably did some weird shit in the library."

Jackson crosses his fingers. "A happy kiss, mate?"

I remember what Tanner said in French, in the kitchen when we found the polaroids, 'Un petit béguin?' Little crush.

'Non, espèce d'idiot,' I snapped back. No, you dumbfuck. He laughed, high-faved April and left.

If they are aware of her neck, they won't be like this. It is insensitive.

"We talked about life," I say as calmly as possible.

"Life," drawls Theo.

Jackson tilts his head. "Making life — Okay!" He throws out his palms, stepping back the second I admonishingly shift forward. 

"If you don't like her," muses Tanner. "I get why. She's kinda ugly."

My hands fisted. The hell? "She's not. She's fucking beautiful." I freeze, comprehending the trap. My shoulders sag. "Smart." I slowly and satirically applaud. "Very smart."