[what am I to you]

Taehyung stares at the man who he's been alienated from for thirteen years. He glances at the brown hair, the brown eyes, and his smallish frame; he looks at every detail of the man in front of him and he sees the brother who took him to the playground after classes. He sees the boy he called Kookie all of his years, right down to his habit of biting his nails, which he's doing right now. Taehyung hears the voice that used to tell him stories at night and talk about their dreams. Even though they're both grown up now, every time he looks at the man in front of him, he flashes back to when they were kids.

"K-Kookie, I'm scared," Taehyung whispers in a hoarse voice that doesn't even sound like any noise came out of his mouth.

Jungkook hesitates before placing his hand on top of Taehyung's. In his mind, he feels relieved because his brother stopped using his formal name and switched over to the name he's been calling him ever since he was born. "It's okay. I'm finally here for you. I won't let anything happen to you." He cocks his head to the side. "Baekhyun's here too. We won't leave your side. Ever."

"Your brother is right. I won't leave you and you know that. I've been with you for two years now and you became my friend, a good one at that. I'm not going to desert you in your time of need." Baekhyun places his hand on Taehyung's other hand. "I'll be here with you forever."

Taehyung nods and watches the rest of Baekhyun's ice cream melt. The two boys in front of him would do anything for him, even though they deceived him and he hasn't completely forgiven either one. Baekhyun and Jungkook are willing to sacrifice themselves and place Taehyung first because that's how much they care about him. He's always been a priority in their minds, especially in Jungkook's. These two boys love Taehyung, but what are they to him?

They both feel like strangers to Taehyung, one more than the other. Taehyung got to know Baekhyun these past two years, but it was all of Jungkook's life. However, his personality is his. He feels like he doesn't know the real Baekhyun. Who is Baekhyun? Although he's hung out with him, what is Baekhyun really like? What are his favorites? What does he like to do in his free time? What are his biggest fears? Taehyung wouldn't know because Baekhyun has been hanging out with him for work.

On the other hand, he's known Kookie ever since he was little but it's been years since they've interacted. So how is he now? Is he still the same boy who wanted to touch the sky and reach his dreams? Is he still the same goofy, adventurous, daring boy who wasn't afraid of anything? He wasn't here for majority of his youth and even now. But everything about him was revealed to him through Baekhyun. Or was Baekhyun just sugar-coating Jungkook to make him more friendly? Is he really his brother?

He looks between his two hyungs who are making light conversation. They laugh a bit at a corny joke Baekhyun makes and Taehyung smiles a bit. The past is the past; they're here now. He's kind of glad that Jungkook disappeared for the time being because he got to figure out who he really is in those years. Of course, he wishes that he was there as a friend and as a brother for him to talk to, but he's grown to be the person he is today and he loves that person.

"Saranghae," Taehyung mumbles underneath his breath.

"What'd you say Tae?" Baekhyun tilts his head inquisitively and stops messing around with Jungkook temporarily.

"Oh nothing. Just still wrapping my head around the whole situation." His breathing becomes a bit shallow as he attempts to stop the tears from falling. His hands are shaking underneath the table as he realizes what they mean to him.

The bell of the door rings and all three of them hear the turn of the lock. "Well, would you look at that? Just the three I've been looking for..."

Taehyung and Baekhyun look at each other in confusion while Jungkook tenses up. He recognizes the voice; he would be able to pick that voice out in a line up, even in a crowded room. He doesn't want to turn around because then it'd confirm that all of this is real, but curiosity gets the best of him. Slowly, he shifts in his seat to see the figure from where the voice emanated from. In front of them, a tall man with a tux stands. He wears a cocky smirk as he adjusts his tie.

"I-it's...The Rancher..." Jungkook breathes, wide-eyed.

---------------------------------------------