Chapter 32: The Pact

Kat's backpack fell to the floor as she collapsed on the couch in the common area. She closed her eyes and let her head rest fall back. It was a few minutes before the elevator dinged open and silent steps made their way over to her. She already knew who it was before she felt the pair of lips on hers.

It was a welcomed greeting as she smiled into the cold kiss, letting her mind take the backseat and her hand wandered to a soft cheek. It was sweet and slow, grounding her to reality but letting her lose herself in the process. When they pulled apart she opened her eyes to meet green ones, shining with happiness.

"I don't know what I did to deserve that, but I hope it happens more often." she smiled.

Loki gave her one more peck before joining her on the couch. He pulled her to lean on him, his arm wrapped around her shoulders as her head fell to his chest. She absentmindedly played with his undone tie, feeling the silkiness for the fabric, as he ran his hand up and down her arm. The whole thing was so cute and comforting that Tony probably would have puked.

Kat glanced up to see Loki's furrowed brows as he stared at the blank screen of the tv. She reached up, abandoning the tie to smooth out the creases on his forehead. He gazed down at her, his eyes showing that something was clearly bothering him.

"What's wrong?" Kat questioned, bringing her hand back to his chest. "And don't say nothing. I know you better than you think."

Loki sighed, moving his other hand to cup the side of her face, running his thumb across her cheek. "It's silly." he answered.

"Is it making you upset?"

Loki nodded, lips pursed slightly.

"Then it's not silly," Kat sat up more, wanting to give him her full attention. "What is it?"

Loki moved his hand from her cheek to hold the hand that she had on his chest, keeping his eyes on them as they laced together.

"I don't understand why you're with me."

"Loki-"

"I mean it. I've tried to understand why you're with me and all I can come up with is that fact that the Beast told you about the deal our parents made."

"Did you ever think that maybe I love you for who you are? Even if you weren't my soulmate, which I'm glad that you are, I would still go after you. Do you really think that I would be with someone based on the sole fact that people I barely remember want me to be? I'm with you because you make me laugh. You make me happy. You know when to stand up for me, but also know when I can handle myself. You respect me. You make me feel like a person, not just some experiment or orphan-alien thing that happens to have powers. I can go on and on about you."

"You act like I hung the moon and stars." Loki joked, voice thick with emotion.

"No, you gave me something better. You gave a future that I want. Because before you, I didn't want to be apart of this world." Kat brought her forehead to his, closing her eyes as a tear escaped.

Loki wiped it away.

"I'm not sure how to top that."

Kat left out a breath of a laugh, "Just be there. Let me love you. Don't question my love for you."

"How about we make a pact?" Loki asked suddenly.

"What kind of pact?" Kat leaned back, opening her eyes.

"We don't question our love for each other anymore. No more insecurities, no more jealousy. Just two people who love each other and know exactly how the other feels. Mutual respect and an equal partnership."