Chapter 29: Asgardians vs Varulv

*Kat's P.O.V*

Sweat dripped off me as I rolled to my feet, dodging a fist as soon as I gained my balance. I grabbed my opponent by the shoulders and brought my knee up when I pulled them down. They took advantage of their free arms and pushed my stomach, causing me to flail back slightly. They quickly brought their leg up and kicked my shoulder back. My opponent repeated the action, kicking one shoulder after the other until I fell off the mat.

I let out a slow whistle as I sat up, "Dang, Cap. Break something, why don't you?"

"Sorry." he apologized sheepishly, holding out a hand to help me up.

Steve stood awkwardly, putting his hands on his hips as he spoke again, "Are you okay? You're usually tougher than that."

I gave him a look.

"N-not that you're losing your touch or anything. It's just that-umm-"

"It's fine. I get what your saying," I sighed, slumping down on a nearby bench. "I've just had a lot on my mind."

"Oliver and Logan?"

"Not just them. I mean, I'm worried about them, but its not that. There are so many things piling up," I glanced up at him. "Has that ever happened to you? That there's too much to handle."

"Everyone gets like that. Just because I'm 'Captain America' doesn't mean that I'm immune." Steve explained, putting air quotes around his alias.

Steve sat next to me, then began, "When I was younger, before I was Captain America, I was just Steve Rogers. Steve-that-got-beat-up-in-an-alley-Rogers. Steve-that-got-knocked-out-behind-that-diner-Rogers. Steve-stuck-in-a-trash-can-Rogers."

"So you got beat up a lot? Is that what this story is about?"

"Be quiet and listen. The point is that I didn't give up. Guys that were bigger than me beat me up to feel better and more masculine about their egos. They wanted me to submit to them, tell them that they were better."

"And you wouldn't."

"And I wouldn't. Its not that it would hurt my pride. I did it because I stood for what I believed in. When the whole world tells you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell them no, you move."

"So what do I do?"

"Stick to your guns. Don't let anyone persuade you if you think what you're doing is best. And, most of all, plant yourself in a firm foundation."

"Thanks, Steve."

"No problem, Kat," he stood up. "Now, let's try this again."

Loki, Thor, and Tyndale walked in as Steve and I made it back on the mat.

"Well, look what we have here," I smiled, seeing the aliens together. "What's going on?"

"These Asgardians have questioned the strength of the Varulv!" Tyndale proclaimed, arms crossed over his chest, a familiar look gleaming in his eyes, one that I've seen in myself.

"Is that so?" I asked the brothers to my left.

"Maybe." Loki smirked.

"Yes." Thor crossed his arms.

"Then I challenge you, Asgardians, in a duel against us, Varulv." I dared, mischief and pride for my race evident in my posture.

"I have to see this." Steve chuckled, stepping off the mat as the others got on.

"So, rules?" I asked, retying my bun.

"Why do we need rules?" Tyndale questioned. "The only rule we had was no to die."