Chapter 14: The Gum on Gwen's Shoe

Thor and I were positioned on the roof of the pizzeria, Tony was on the roof next to us, an alley separated the two buildings. Natasha and Clint walked among the pedestrians while the others sat in the van parked across the street.

"Okay Gwen, did you get a good look at them?" I questioned, looking at the crowds on the sidewalk.

"No. I only noticed that someone was making all of the turns I was, but I couldn't see their face." Gwen answered.

She was still sitting at a table in the restaurant, drinking a coke I told her to order while she waited for us so the stalker wouldn't get suspicious.

"Did anyone come in after you?"

"Only an old woman and younger lady, but the figure looked like a man."

There was only one way to get this man out of his hiding place.

"Gwen, I need you to leave the restaurant and walk down the side walk until I tell what else to do."

"Okay." she said and I could hear shuffling on the other side.

Soon Gwen walked out of the restaurant and began walking. So far, no one was following her.

"Natasha, Clint. You see anything down there?" I asked.

"Not yet." Natasha reported.

"Keep going, Gwen. You're doing good. Just act natural."

"Those acting lessons have come in handy, huh?" Gwen joked, breathing out a small laugh as she did.

"Indeed, they have."

"I see him." Clint reported.

"I do too." Natasha put in.

"Okay, you two stay on him. Gwen, walk down the alley to your left."

"Are you sure that's safe?" Gwen hesitated as she approached the alley.

"Of course, I'll be down there with you."

As Gwen got closer to the alley, I climbed down the fire escape. This guy had another thing coming if he thought he could do this to Gwen. The only reason he would be following her is if he was after me or Peter.

When my feet hit the ground silently, Gwen turned the corner and started walking down the alley. My hood was pulled over my head, covering what my mask didn't. I hunched behind a mess of garbage cans, concealing myself from anyone who passed.

"I'm here, Gwen." I whispered, reminding her.

"He's walking into the alley." Clint told me.

Just as he said this, a figure started to follow Gwen down the path she took. From what I could see, he wore a trench coat that flowed behind him as he walked. Gwen passed me and Trench Coat Guy picked up the pace. He was close enough to the garbage cans for me to jump out and face him.

"Who are you?" I questioned, my voice sounding hard and almost robotic from the scrambler.

The man looked me up and down as he crossed his arms and laughed a laugh I hadn't heard since I was 15 years old.

"Petite, why you try to scare me when I know for a fact that you are a softie?" he asked.

"Remy LeBeau!?" I smiled, the hardness leaving my voice as my face softened.

"The one and only." he laughed, holding his arms wide, as if presenting himself to me.

He pulled me to him in a hug and I obliged, letting myself get use to him again.