Chapter 8: Talks of Redemption

*Kat's POV*

Sunday was spent searching for any sudden spikes of energy or constant energy sources. We had to monitor the whole world for them so we broke into groups to keep an eye on each part of the world. Tony, Dr. Banner and I knew the most about the technology we were using so we were in charge of each of our groups.

Tony, Thor, and Clint had Europe and Asia; Dr. Banner, Natasha, and Logan had Africa, Australia, and Antarctica; and Loki, Steve and I had North and South America. Each groups monitored the bodies of water around their continents incase the Dark Elves were on an island somewhere.

We each had our own shifts so one person was monitoring their area at all times while the other two were doing whatever they wanted before it was their turn.

Now, it was my turn.

I was sitting at a desk with the holograms in front of me. Nothing exciting was happening so, with my feet kicked up on the desk, I was finishing up my weekend homework. All that was left was my trigonometry worksheet and it was not going easy on me.

Right when I slammed my book shut and let it fall to the floor, the door opened.

"You okay?" Steve asked, holding a plate and a bottle of water in his hands.

"Math will be the death of me," I ranted. "What are you doing here? Your shift is in two hours."

"Brought you lunch." he answered, setting the plate and bottle on the desk.

"Ah, the way to my heart is through my stomach," I took my feet off the desk to eat. "Thank you."

"No problem," he sat in the chair next to me and twirled it around to face me. "How's it going?" He gestured to the hologram

"Nothing yet. Just your basic, everyday life on planet Earth." I bit into my sandwich.

"How did you get into all of this?"

"Fury asked me." I guessed, not getting what he was asking.

"Not that. I meant this life?"

"You read my file. I was forced."

"No, you were forced to participate in the experiments," he watched me closely, noting how I stiffened at the mention of experiments. "You could have ignored your powers and had a normal life. Instead, you're on SHIELD's radar since you came to New York by fighting crime."

As he spoke I broke of pieces of my sandwich and popped it into my mouth.

"Did the others send you to get information on me?" I raised an eyebrow, eyeing him for any tells.

"No. I'm genuinely curious." he said honestly.

My eyes studied his face for anything that might give up his act, if he had one. When I came up with nothing I decided that he actually wanted to know.

"You know how when people do something bad, they try to redeem themselves by doing good things?" He nodded, keeping eye contact. "Well, I'm one of those people."

"Have you redeemed yourself yet?"

I smiled briefly at his question before replying, "I'll never be able to redeem myself. But I can try and do my best until I breathe my last breath."

"What could have possibly been so bad that you can't come back from?"

The smile was gone from my face as the memories threatened to surface from where they were buried in the back of my mind.

"Trust me, you don't want to know."

The Captain opened his mouth to speak again but a red flashing light made us snap our heads to the hologram in front of us. There, by the Hawaiian islands was a blinking light that we had been waiting for.