Chapter 4: Luna the Huntress

*Kat's POV*

The glass container I was held in crashed around me and the water poured out of it. The mask was removed from my face and the air hit it all at once. My eyes opened to see a man that I would later know as a friend and father, Logan.

He picked me up as memories slowly poured into me. I was an experiment. There were others like me. Then, I noticed that the man was carrying a boy in his other arm.

Men with what I assumed were weapons started for us and the man stopped. His bones moved under his arms and I knew what that meant.

"I can stand. I'll hold him while you take care of them." I said in the strongest voice I could manage.

Logan put me down and handed me the young boy. He was about 7 years old and I was 12 so holding him wasn't so bad. Logan either killed or knocked out most of the men before he picked us back up and started running.

Then everything changed.

We were with the X-Men, all grown up. The boy, Oliver was now 10 and I was 15. Suddenly, there was a bang and Oliver was on the ground, bleeding out.

I woke up with a start, my wide eyes searching the room for the boy who was like a brother to me. When I realized that I was only dreaming I calmed down a bit. But it wasn't a dream, it really happened.

It was the reason that I left the X-Men that same month and started living in the city. Logan was hesitant to leave me alone, but knew that I could hold my own. So over the years he visited less and less.

Even though it broke my heart I knew that there were kids who needed help understanding their powers. I was just glad that Friday had finally arrived, so Logan should be here this afternoon.

Looking at the clock I noticed that it was 6 in the morning. There was no point in going back to sleep if I was going to wake up in an hour anyway.

I found myself in the training room of my Bunker, beating the nightmare away with a punching bag. More memories followed.

Someone firing a gun at Magneto; him stopping the bullet; it turning on Oliver who followed me; then Oliver on the ground; his grey eyes closing for the last time, never to open again.

The next thing I knew, my claws were out and ripping though the leather of the bag. Sand pooled at my feet as my claw retracted back into my arm. I left the mess to deal with later, not in the mood to clean it up.

***************

"Then what happened?" Gwen asked.

I was telling her about meeting the Avengers Wednesday night. She was doing a science fair thing yesterday so this is the first time I've been able to talk to her without people listening.

Who listens to other people's conversations at lunch?

"Then I check on the girl I saved and left." I finished, then took a bite of my sandwich.

"Do you think they're still suspicious?"

"Oh yeah. Clint told me that I was a hero then went all 'time will tell' on me. It was weird. But I couldn't let that girl die for the sake of my own identity."

"You could have told one of them." Gwen said, as always, pointing something out to me.

"And who knows how much time that could have wasted."

"Let go!" Someone cried out.

My head shot up and saw a crowd gathering in the middle of the courtyard.