53. The Verdict

Jolie's POV:

I was sitting on the foot of the hospital bed, dangling my feet and getting lost in the rhythms of the motions as I waited for the doctor to walk in and give me the results of my recent lab tests. With tests from urine output, immune system checks, and many many unruly exams, I was finally going to get a new set of results before going home. I was hoping for the best, but things were too good to be true. Things were going too well recently and I should be prepared for any verdict the doctor might give.

"It's going to be fine, Jolie." I had my brother, my mom, Candy, and Jobe all in the same room with me, waiting for some sign from the doctor. I was surprised to see my mother and brother return to the hospital before my release, but I was glad they showed up. Even Jobe's father and Avie were on the outside waiting; due to capacity limits they stayed outside. Plus, John Boston was too impatient to sit and wait. I didn't want him in the room if the results were negative; he might kill me for making his son do this for nothing.

I had everyone I cared about in one room with me, and I knew my father was watching over me this very moment, an angel I knew would protect me. I had all the support I needed; I just hope that was enough.

A knock on the door and the door slid open a piece, the head of my doctor sticking into the room, and a bald head shining in the glossy lighting.

"You can come in." Leave it to my mother to let him in, knowing that my heart was panicking for the answer he was about to give because I might be sent to my early grave.

The doctor shook each of our hands walking in before turning his eyes on his paperwork. My stomach tightened more than Jobe's hand around mine, and I prepped myself for the verdict. Would I get the final rose or would I be sent away?

"As you know, we've been doing strategic exams and extensive watch on Jolie. As with any patient, I like to gather the proper information before giving specific news to the family, and now I feel that it's an appropriate time to do so. After a full cardio exam, thorough check for renal dysfunctions, and immunological evaluations, we have seen a positive outcome. We were afraid her previous stagnant improvement was showing signs of future problems, but as she continued to take her medicine and we continued to do more research, she has come very far in her recovery and under a few conditions, we will be ready to send her home. We are very certain that Jolie should make a full recovery, thanks to her donor and her very bright spirit."

"Oh thank God." It was a room filled with glorious chorus of relief in the four walls of the room. Even though I didn't like hospitals, I was seeing that a place like this wasn't only meant for heartache, but was meant for miracles. My heart had been filled with such grace, and my hands that had tirelessly lifted in prayer were now shaking with joy.

It was all over, all of it. The struggles with dialysis, the weakness and vomiting, and the sorrowful eyes of my family. I would no longer be a burden, but I would be boundless in bounty.

"You will be going home with your medication on a strict schedule, therapy will be needed, and careful watch from your family for a few months. You will check back continually with me and keep me in the know for any unresolved problems. But as I see it, you will be just fine in your healing process." My doctor clicked his pen closed and smiled gently my way. With any good doctor, you can see the satisfaction I'm his smile, and this man didn't fail to disappoint. I wasn't used to seeing such positivity in the past, but I could deal with this.

The doctor then handed me a few papers for immune therapy for me to look over. I set it on the bedside table near a the get well balloon I had received from my brother.

"Thank you, sir. I am so relieved to hear the news." I said.

"They don't call him an amazing doctor for nothing." Mom added, grabbing a tissue from the window seal and wiping her eyes. Hey, at least they were good tears!

The doctor said a few last words before leaving us to celebrate the news. I was happy, extrmely happy, but it left one simple question up in the air: what would happen to Jobe and I? Once we went back home and enter the real world...which I haven't fully been a part of in years... what would happened to us, or would there even be and us? Bad thoughts aside, I was going to focus on here and now, and be happy at where I was and the news I had gotten.

"I'm so happy for you, sis. I can't tell you how happy." Emeric had been so upset he couldn't give me his own kidney, so I was glad that regret was over with.

"I'm happy I'll soon be able to sleep in my own bed again." I laughed, sinking my head into the pillow of the hospital bed. The rest of the crowd laughed, and I'm not sure what I said was funmy, but we were all so happy everything was worth laughing around about.

"You can sleep in your bed soon enough. I'll make you all of your favorite foods and you can rest as long as you'd like." Mom smiled.

"Yes, and hopefully it'll be the last time you'll have to watch over me." I explained.

"I'll always be your mom, honey. And I, no all, of us will always be there no matter what condition you're in. We love you."