38. Memorial Day

Jobe's POV:

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

Standing a few yards away from Jolie's father's grave was an outer body experience for her. Facing the fact that her father was buried under a level of dirt was hard to sink in, so I hope she had come to terms with it.

Today, finally, with dry anticipation, was Memorial Day, and as usual, Jolie told me her family showed up to her father's grave site to visit, but she wanted me to come. She waited until her family left before going there herself, with the support of me.

Memorial Day was set to remember the fallen, to remember those who served this great country. Jolie didn't need a certain day to remember her father, but she was going to show her respect either way.

"I'm sure. Thank you for coming for support." She smiled at me, and I smiled in return.

The rain started to come down once again this summer, the tiny raindrops evaporating quickly on our skin.

"So what was your dad like?"

Jolie and I began to walk towards her father's grave, surrounded by other service families visiting.

"My dad, J.C., was a good man, always happy and looking for a good laugh. Of course, he wasn't himself after his service, but he tried to be as happy as possible. We were really close, which is why it's so hard for me to be here." She told me.

"You're strong for showing up here; he'd be proud of you. You have a lot going on right now, so showing up isn't easy."

"You're right. Can you imagine tomorrow we are getting ready for the surgery? Tomorrow our trip to Texas begins." Jolie's doctor worked in various areas, and for the next few weeks, he'll be stationed in Houston. Since she didn't have a plan on waiting any longer than a few weeks, she had to go to Texas...alone...with me. Her family would be meeting her there on the day of surgery, but until then, I would be left alone with Jolie Drake, and that spelled trouble.

"I know, but it's all going to work out." It was a broken record, but at least I was trying to boost her confidence.

"I've been doing a lot of reading and I heard that the doner recovers slower than the donee. Did you know that?"

I shook my head, taking a spot next to her on the concrete bench next to the grave.

"No, reading about it would get me nervous. Don't you know you're not supposed to Google anything online? Am I going to have to take your computer?" I teased.

"No, no." She laughed.

"Oh, before I forget, I bought something." Reaching inside my jacket, I revealed a folded American flag.

"There certainly aren't a shortage of flags." She said, pointing at all of the stick-in flags near the tomb, along with the ones around the other graves.

"This one's special to me. After 9/11, the patriotism was at an all time high, totally contrast on today's society. Lining the streets of Kay View and surrounding cities, there were dozens of flags hanging on one pole after another. There were flags on the back of trucks, on the tops of houses, everywhere. My father wanted one of his own, but there were none left to be found. At the time, there was no Ebay, so sources of getting one were scarce since they sold out in local stores. Well, being the kid I was, I was going to do whatever it took to prove myself to my dad. I asked my uncle if he would help me get one, but when that plan failed, I did the only thing I could do. I dragged my father's ladder to the nearest pole, climbed the ladder like the dumbass I am, and retrieved a flag. I fell off the pole, sprung my ankle, but the euphoria of it all made me feel like a hero. It was probably the first, and one of the only, times my father ever said he was proud of me. I kept this flag since 2001, and I'm ready to pass it on. I don't need to have a reminder of who I am, and I don't need to prove myself to my father. It's time I let go of this flag, and bring it somewhere I know it will be appreciated. I want to show appreciation for a real hero." I delicately placed the fabric on the marble headstone, draping it carefully so the engravement was still visible.