28. Well-Deserved Praise

Jobe's POV:

"This is my older brother and his girlfriend." That's how my boisterous sister introduced Jolie and I at the end of her dance recital. No hesitation, no worry as she called Jolie my girlfriend.

I had been on edge to step inside of Kay's Backstage dance building, but Jolie explained to me how proud Avie would be if I went in for just a few minutes. Besides, all of the parents watch their children dance, so Jolie thought it would be thoughtful to go in with her, and introduce ourselves to everyone else.

It was unspoken between Jolie and I to let Avie have her fun, deciding not to correct her when she called us out for being a couple.

"Oh, what a sweet boy. Giving a kidney is such a wonderful thing." The elderly teacher didn't hesitate to hold her skinny hands in mine and then pulling me into a big hug. Over her bony shoulder were bright eyed children sitting Indian Style, some waiting for their parents to arrive.

"Thank you, ma'am."

I was given a handshake by the lady's assistant, Jerry. He was wearing spandex similar to the rest of the ladies, with a huge beer belly poking out. He came off as odd, with a very hairy chest and nose hairs so long they could pass as tenticles. I couldn't lie; I was happy he didn't try for a hug.

"Why don't you say a few words? My kids would love to hear the story of you two. Avie has been raving about the two of you, and it would be nice to hear the story straight from the source." The choreography teacher, Mrs. June, called out.

"There's not much to tell. I'm giving her a kidney because she needs one. That simple." I didn't feel like getting into detail, and I definitely didn't need to be praised when the only reason I agreed in giving the kidney was because of my father.

"Tell us more!" One of the kids begged.

Jolie and I sat down with the little kids, Avie taking a seat in the middle of us.

"Jobe, here, is being modest. I've been battling with kidney problems for a while now, and when no one was willing to give me their kidney, I was put on a list." Jolie said.

"Like a naughty list?" Another child gasped, interrupting Jolie.

"No, well...kind of. Let's say my kidney is a present, and since I was at the bottom of a list, or the naughty list as you put it, I couldn't get a kidney. But Jobe decided to personally give me his kidney, and I no longer had to wait on the list for one. Jobe bent all the rules." Jolie was trying to make me look cool, but I didn't deserve it. I shamefully didn't want to give my kidney at first, and I was a fool for feeling that way.

"Yes, I broke the rules. In fact, I broken too many rules." I shook my head in disgust, Jolie sending me one of her dirty looks.

"Jobe broke rules, like all of us. We've all done things that has gotten us punished, but we come out better, don't we? Jobe is a better person, and he's proof that, no matter what, anyone can do better. So this should be encouraging to all of you; if you feel like you aren't good enough, or you can't do something, you can if you try hard enough."

Jolie stood on her foot, grabbing Avie's hand and waited for me to get up. The echos of 'how cool' I was from the kids were far away by now as I walked back to my truck.

Jolie was quick to catch up to me, putting Avie in the truck before coming to the driver's side next to me.

"What has gotten into you? Why are you so on edge?" Her fingers wrapped around my shoulder, causing me to cease my bitter tongue.

I turned around, letting my hand fall off the door handle.

"You were too nice to me in there. I was a jerk to you when we met. I didn't want to give you my kidney and you know that. I don't understand how you can forget about it so easily."

"Jobe, I didn't forget how you acted. You were an ass, an unrighteous one, at that."

"Then what gives?" I asked.

"I don't know." She said.

"What gives?" I asked again, walking a little closer to her so that Avie couldn't snoop in on our conversation. My arms were touching hers, and her hair was blowing around her face and the length of my arms.

"I didn't deserve any praise for this." I added.

"I know you think that way, but I don't. Tell me this, Jobe; right here right now, if it was up to you and not your father, would you go through with the surgery?" She whispered.

"Well, yeah, but..."

"But nothing. You're a good guy and I wish you'd stop being so hard on yourself. So please, for me, shut up and get in the truck." Jolie was feisty, and I dare not stop a rash woman from speaking her mind.

I was hard on myself because I wanted to be better, but I knew she meant it when she said she believed I was a good guy.

I was going to put my tail between my legs and get in the truck, as Jolie pleased.

"What took you so long?" Avie reached over to the front seat, eyeing us suspiciously.

"Avie, put your seatbelt on and sit down. You don't want me to come back there, do you?" Great way to avoid the subject is by pulling the dad card on her.

"Okay." Avie grunted.

After a few moments of silence, Avie spoke again, this time, from the comfort of her secured seat.

"Thank you for taking me to dance and talking to my friends. Today was the best day ever!"

"Today was fun." Jolie agreed, sending a sparkling smile my way.

It was as simple as that; in a blink of an eye, Avie and Jolie made today all worth it, despite my own self-casting doubts.