51. Hospitals Are Romantic Too

Jolie's POV:

Jobe and I were getting better and standing around, and much better at rolling ourselves down the hallway in our wheelchairs. We were so good, I was beginning to think we were going to start our own wheelchair basketball team.

Jobe and I were taking a break, stopping near the exit doors to relax for a second before rolling back to our rooms. Luckily, the nurses had gotten so used to us rolling around like a bunch of crazy folk, they decided not to fight us on it, letting us get our exercise in. Mom and Emeric had been preparing and sanitizing the home to get ready in case my release date would be set, so they weren't in Texas any longer, leaving me with only the company of Jobe. It was nice to have a him around, especially on a sunny day like today, when I wasn't allowed to go far outside. I wish I could be medically cleared already.

"You're getting tired yet? Your arms look a little shaky." Well, rolling around for an hour and a half could wear someone out.

"Just a little bit. We should get to our rooms before lunch is served. I think they're cooking chicken strips today." I said.

"Yes, I think so too. Tell you what, how about we come back for the food and we take a stroll outside first?" Jobe nodded to the door, waiting to see my reaction before giving a belated smirk.

"You are such a bad influence, have I told you that?"

"That's not a no, so I'll take that as a good sign. Let's go before they catch us getting out. We can use the door inside the stairwell; if we use the exit door right here they'll definitely see the sunlight shining through and catch us getting out." He informed me, whispering so no one else could hear, even though no one was close to us. I played along, keeping my voice low as I replied.

"Okay." Quickly, I grabbed my anti-rejection medicine in my pocket before following Jobe's lead. The stairwell was empty, and our getaway door was a few steps ahead. We both decided to get of our wheelchairs, as the nurses would even approve of our exercise. I was aching, so I more so tip toed hunchback, but I made it to the door nonetheless.

By the outside of the door was a recycle bin and a hazardous waste trash bin; not exactly very joyful to see but I was honestly so happy to be outside. Feeling the sunlight again, regardless of how hot it was, was amazing.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked.

"Come here." Walking farther down the sidewalk, we heard a bunch of giggles coming towards us, assuming some of the nurses were on their lunch break. One took out their phone to take a quick selfie, and if she had her phone any higher up, you'd have to put it on a satellite.

We found a few bushes to hunker down in for a few minutes until they passed, the both of us trying not to laugh ourselves, and our hair left with a few leaves when we finally got up.

"Let's go." Jobe snapped my hand like a clam, and held onto me like a was the prized winning pearl of the ocean. He looked back at me, and I couldn't help but smile at him. He was worth every bit of chaos I was getting into.

"Your destination is to the left." He greeted, bowing his head and gesturing to the left.

"Thank you, Butler Jobe." I teased.

Turning to the left, I saw a nice fleur-de-lis bench covered in cushiony pillows, a freshly cleaned table with a few plates filled with today's menu of chicken strips and macaroni.

"You had this planned all along, didn't you? How did you know I'd agree to come outside?" I took a piece of chicken into my mouth, then sat on the opposite side, secretly taking the uneaten plate for myself. I can be so evil sometimes, but I needed the calories to stop this hunger.