Forever Red: Lucas Leiva

Honestly never thought this day would come. Kinda thought that I'd have a retirement chapter or something, but Lucas cut that idea off. He does deserve playtime because he's worth that, so glad LFC allowed to do as he wishes, as he deserves that much. Ah, emotions can't get the best of me here. Starting the chapter now before this becomes a sob fest.

Today, on July 18th, Lucas has left Liverpool for £5m to Lazio. This is after the whole internet said something before either clubs "officially" announced it, but that doesn't dampen anything, of course. Let's look at his wonderful time here. 

The attacking midfielder from Gremio came to us for a fee of  £5m. Thing is, that much back in 2007 (talking like that was decades ago) was worth much more than it is now. He was unveiled as a Liverpool player on the 26th of July and allowed to play in the Barclays Asia Trophy and had to wait until late November to get a true start other than this trophy, as Rafa Benitez slowly eased him in. While getting used to the rigours of the PL after spending his time in Brazil, he scored his first goal for Liverpool in January against Havant & Waterlooville (finally back in the National League South) in the FA Cup and on that day became the first Brazillian to score for Liverpool. I'm sure that gave him a good name in Brazil at the time and is probably one of the reasons why we have a big following in Brazil. The season ends and he's on a high.

Coming into the 08/09 season, he was expected to do very well after scoring the first Brazillian goal (a curler from 25 yards into the corner of all things, very Brazillian) and having an overall very good season. Preseason started well with him participating in a 2-1 win against Lucerne but ended shortly when he had to go to the Olympics for Brazil in Beijing. A bronze medal, good preseason and high praise from Benitez were the ingredients for the perfect start. But after disappointing start after disappointing start, people started to doubt him the peak either being that he was booed after a boring draw against Fulham, a sending off in a cup tie against Everton or giving a penalty to Wigan Athletic. Benitez went against these moments and instead went on to praise Lucas for his passion and the credentials he had at the time, like being a captain for Brazil. The season started to get better for him with a big 5-1 win against Newcastle and a 4-1 win against United and having a big match against Chelsea in the Champions League. The season ended with him scoring his first PL goal against Newcastle in a 3-0 win. Poor Newcastle this season.

After eventually getting the Liverpool Player of the Year award and signing a new contract, his 11-12 season was cut short thanks to an ACL injury picked up in a collision with Juan Mata against Chelsea. He still signed a long term deal with Liverpool after it all, but I believe that this was basically the beginning of the end. 

Still, he was the perfect servant with the perfect attitude. Though he was basically riding the bench, he still was a part of Coutinho coming here and helped Coutinho, Moreno and Firmino get situated here. With that seed he sowed, Coutinho then brought Firmino here. His off the field work with these guys as well as his general personality with the fans can never be replaced and we can only be thankful that he was with us.

Unlucky that he has to go now, but do foul a guy or two in Lucas fashion over there, Lucas. YNWA.