Court Date

Jenna's POV

Soon it was the court date. I got up early and put on a nice dress and did my hair. I woke Lulu up and put her into a pale blue dress. Then we both went and ate breakfast.

At the court house I waited for Becky, Dawn, and my lawyer, Ashley.

"Jenna." Becky said coming in, Dawn following her.

"Hi Lulu," Dawn said.

"Hi!" Lulu exclaimed.

"So is Lulu coming into the courtroom?" asked Becky.

"Yeah," I said, "she has a coloring book and her teddy bear."

"Why didn't you just leave her with a babysitter?" Dawn wondered.

"Because! I don't trust anyone with Lulu. And babysitters are just teenagers who are on their phones the whole time."

"Brian and Brenda's babysitter is really good."

"Well. I just want her to be with me," I said and patted Lulu's head. Lulu looked up at me and gave me a cute silly little smile and I laughed. "Come on you." I scooped her up and we went into the courtroom.

*****

"Earl Hunterson," Ashley said and Earl when up to the front and sat down, "do you promise to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth?"

"Yes."

"Okay. We will be asking you questions," she explained, "Did you ever make Jenna do things for you?"

"Yeah. If she did something I didn't like I'd slap her," Earl said nonchalantly, "but that's what women are for. Doin' stuff for the men. So she didn't do what I wanted I'd hurt her."

Becky squeezes my shoulder and I desperately tried not to think of the awful memories of Earl hurting me.

"Okay. Did you ever verbally abuse Jenna?" Ashley asked.

"Well yeah I guess. I said she was stupid and useless sometimes. But that don't matter."

"Um okay. Last question. Did you ever physically abuse Jenna?"

"Well like I said before I would slap if kick her if she didn't do what I wanted. But it's alright. She never minded."

I gulped. I did mind, but I was just to cowardly and afraid to stand up for myself.

"Okay. Thank you. You may sit down."

"Jenna Colman." The judge said. I walked up to the from of the room and took a seat.

"Do you promise to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth?" Earl's lawyer, Devin Johnson said.

"Yes. I promise."

"Okay. Number one did Earl ever make or force you to do anything?"

Well..." I swallowed, "yes. He would always make me clean and.. love him. And I would give him all the tips I earned as a waitress."

"Next question. Did Earl ever verbally abuse you?"

"Y-yes. Many times. I'm he wasn't happy with me he'd call me stupid, or useless," I took a deep shaky breath and said quietly, "... or a slut."

"Excuse me. Speak up."

"He'd call me a dirty slut."

"YOU LITTLE!" Earl exploded.

"SILENCE!" The judge yelled.

"Last question. Did Earl ever physically abuse you?"

"Yes. He did. He would k-kick me or slap m-me if I didn't do what he wanted. I would generally act like a timid puppy around him."

"Okay. Thank you. We will have a short break as we make our decision." The judge explained.

I stood up and went and scooped Lulu up. My hands shook and I was desperately trying not to cry. I knew that just based on Earl's answers there was no way he would win, but I was still nervous. I put my face to Lulu's blonde hair and smelled the strawberry shampoo she loved.

"Mama? Who was that mean guy who yelled at you?" Lulu asked me with her big eyes staring at me.

"Well..." I stammered, "I'll tell you when your older baby."

******

"We've made our decision," the judge began after the break, "Jenna has full custody of Lulu and Earl has no rights to visiting. And Jenna you can file a restraining order if you choose."

"Yes! Of course!" I exclaimed. I wrapped Lulu up in my arms and hugged her close. She laughed and gave me a kiss.

"I love you Mama." She whispered in my ear.

"I love you too little Lu." I said.

Finally! A new chapter! Yay! I hope you liked it! Don't forget to comment, vote, and follow me!! Thanks for reading! Love you all!!

Love, leah_ann ❤️