Don't Touch Her

Jenna's POV

The next day I had already dropped Lulu off a few hours ago and now it was 12:00. I constantly kept checking the clock and looking at the time. Dr. Pomatter, or Jim, was coming at 12:30. I dusted the flour off my yellow apron and adjusted my messy ponytail.

Why did I matter so much how I looked? It's not like it was a date. It couldn't be. It can't be. I started panicking. Had he asked my on a date? No. He had said, "just friends, " I remember. Okay. That's good.

"Jenna. He's here." Becky said.

I took a deep breath and stepped out of my little pie baking sanctuary and into the dining area.

"Hi." Jim said.

"Hello," I said.

"Should we sit?"

"Yeah. We should," we sat down and I offered, "do you want some pie or something?"

"Yes of course!"

I got up and went and got two slices of the special pie today, Past Life Pie. Which was a flaky crust with red and green apples, whipped cream, and cinnamon and nutmeg.

"Here we go."

"Thank you. So, how are you?" He said.

"I'm good. It's been a long time. How's Francine and Emma?"

"They're good. Everything is good. How's Lulu?"

I smiled, "Oh she's amazing. Absolutely amazing."

"Did you finally divorce your awful husband?"

"Oh yeah, Earl. Yeah. I did. I haven't seen him in five years."

"Good. I'm glad you're doing good."

"Oh I'm more than good. I'm the best I've ever been."

Jim smiled and we both kept talking. The time flew by and before I knew it he was saying how he needed to get back to work.

"Can we... do this again?" He asked.

"Absolutely. It's good being friends."

"Yes. Yes it is." We waved goodbye and I smiled.

"So... how'd it go?" Dawn and Becky sneaked up behind me.

"Good."

"Well that's good," Dawn said.

"Do you guys want to come over tonight?"

"Alright. It'll be a girl's night."

"Yes it will! I'll get Ogie to watch Brian and Brenda."

"Okay. I'll see you tonight."

"Well or in like thirty seconds," Becky laughed.

"Yeah. That's true," I laughed.

~~~~~~~~

That night when Lulu and I got home from the diner I cooked us dinner and waited for my friends to get there.

"Knock knock." Dawn and Becky said as they came in.

"Hey!"

"Hi!" Lulu exclaimed and jumped into Dawn's arms.

"Hi Little Lu!" Dawn replied and Lulu laughed.

We all sat down on the couch and started talking. After a while there was a loud knock on the door.

"Who could that be?" I thought.

Becky answered, "Who knows."

I opened the door and inhaled sharply, "Earl...." my voice trailed off.

"Hey! Where is she?!" He yelled.

"Who?" I said even though I knew who was was clearly talking about.

"MY DAUGHTER!" He roared. His breath reeked of beer and it was obvious he was drunk.

"Dawn go get Lulu," Becky said. Dawn quickly scooped up Lulu, who was terrified and took her to her bedroom.

"HEY! GET AWAY FROM HER!" Becky yelled.

"YOU SHUT UP!!" Earl screamed and turned to me, who was frozen from fear and shaking. The memories of him abusing me came back to my head. I tried to breathe but could barely move.
"WHERE IS SHE?!! I WANNA SHE MY DAMN DAUGHTER!!!"

"no.." I managed.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO?! SHE'S MY DAUGHTER!!" Earl turned to me and slapped me hard across the cheek. I crumpled to the ground.

Becky lunged in front of me and roared at Earl, "GOD EARL!!! I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU EVER EVER COME BACK HERE I WILL CALL THE POLICE YOU HEAR?!!!!! NOW GET OUT OF HERE NOW!!!!!"

Earl ran out of the house and got in his truck and zoomed off. Dawn came out of Lulu's room and they both helped me up onto the couch.

Then I broke down. I started sobbing. And sobbing. I wasn't really sure why. Earl was gone. He'd left. But I didn't know why he came back. Why did he have a sudden urge to meet Lulu? He hadn't seen her in five years. And I didn't think he'd want to cause I'd had a girl.

But the thing that was really bothering me was how'd he find us? I hadn't told him, seen him, or heard from him in five years. It made me nervous that he knew where we lived.

My friends just wrapped their arms around me and held me tight. I felt safe with them there. Like no one could ever hurt me or Lulu again.

Soon, I feel asleep on the couch.

~~~~~~~~~

I woke up lying on the couch. Dawn was lying on the floor and Becky was sitting in a chair, both of them were asleep. I sighed and smiled because I knew that they had stayed because they didn't want to leave me.

"Hey," Becky said when she woke up.

"Hi." I said as Dawn began stirring and sat up.

"Wait. What about your husband's?" I thought.

"Eh. He's fine." Becky shrugged.

"Well Ogie knows I was staying. I called him after you fell asleep. I wanted you to think I accidentally fell asleep," Dawn replied.

Tears welled in my eyes. I was so grateful for both of my friends. "Thank you. So much. I love you both." I hugged them and smiled.

"We love you Jenna." They replied."

"We'd better get up and get going. So we can get to work." Dawn confirmed.

"Yeah. We better." Becky said.

"Well. See you at work!" I added.

After they left Lulu came out of her room wearing her Hello Kitty pajamas.

"Mama!" She exclaimed.

"Hi sweetie!" I scooped Lulu up and held her in my arms. I kissed her and hugged her tight, "I love you Lulu."

"I love you too Mama!"

Yay! I'm so proud this is a long chapter! Hope you guys liked it! Don't forget to comment, vote, and follow me!!!

Love, leah_ann ❤️