Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

"Tell her I'm always right."

"He's never right."

"Arnav."

He chuckles. "Should I be intrigued?"

I frown. "By what?"

Arnav beholds April once again. "Girlfriend?" I shoot him a glare. He held up his hands. "I'm just saying. Your request this morning ... odd choice."

I knew this would happen. "Arnav, this is April. She is Mike Levesque's sister."

"Your brother is inspiring."

She smiles. "Thank you."

He withdraws a blank lanyard. "I have a feeling I will be seeing you more often."

"Arnav," I say and he doesn't wipe off that grin. 

"If Samuel Matthews's son requested the finest floor in the building for the whole afternoon to the night, then you are a special guest."

Five minutes: signed her name to the database, got her ultrasound fingerprint, her lanyard finished.

In the elevator she asks, "Special guest?"

I push the lowest button, angling onto the handrail. My stomach mildly lugs to my throat as we ascend. "I don't bring anyone here." Not even my friends.

For incalculable reasons. The substantial one is nervousness. This Tower dominates Edgewater, hence it is remarkably intimidating. The history, the reputation, the competency — how can it not be?

I bought April here to enliven the ambience, knowing this building can certainly provide that as it is my favourite place. I brought her here for peace, for elation, before we transgressed to the dark.

"Oh." She awkwardly shifts her weight to her left leg, that endearing blush revisiting. "That's ... sweet."

"So, what did you do for the past three days?"

She grasps the handrail, her tender fingers tickling mine. "Revising, cooking, cleaning, babysitting Rose, reading—"

"You like to read?"

"Yeah. Do you?"

Interesting. Destiny never liked reading — which explains why she's senseless.

"Absolutely."

"What's your favourite genre?" she asks.

"Honestly, I don't really care. As long as the book is a good read, that's what matters."

"Tanner said you like to read erotica. I saw him reading one of your favourite books this morning."

"They're fun. I never watched porn in my life, but I know reading it is better and healthier."

Reading is knowledge, and knowledge is useful.

"A guy who loves to read," she muses, fascinated. "Wow. Never thought I'd come across that unless in dreams."

"You dream about me? You get unpredictable every second."

"I didn't say your name, did I?"

"You probably wanted to."

"You wish I did."

"Perhaps."

"What?"

"Nothing."

I stare at the opposite wall, smiling. Moments later, I sneak a peek at her, her arms folded, catching a soft smile spread across her face, identical to mine.