Chapter Sixteen: Complications; Complications

Start from the beginning

"He's in shock", I said and she nodded and walked away. "Lindo, I kind of need for you to say something, hey", I said. He looked at me and I smiled. He smiled back and then he stood up and turned my chair so that it was facing him. He knelt in front of me and looked at me.

"May I?" He asked, gesturing with his hands that he wanted to touch my stomach. I nodded and he placed his hands on it.

"What does this mean?" I asked softly.

"Well, we both know that I am unemployed; I'm a student like you. I know if you decide to keep the baby, it's going to be a serious sacrifice on your end. Whatever you decide to do though, I want you to know, I want you to keep him or her", he said.

"You're not going to leave me when the going gets tough?" I asked and he shook his head.

"I can't leave you. You know my life isn't the same without you. With or without this baby, I want you in my life. You're my best friend", he said and I nodded.

"It's going to be a lot different now, though Lindo", I said and he nodded.

"I know that, but you matter more to me than the difference that this baby has brought", he said.

"How sweet of you. By the way, my dad is so pissed. You need to get a gun", I told him and he laughed and went back to his seat.

"Well, yeah... That's expected. I will talk to him", he said. I raised my eyebrow in question. "What?" He asked.

"You're so dead", I said. We ate our meals in a low chatter. He asked about my short trip to Paris and I didn't mention meeting Beyoncé. I was going to upload the pictures of the two of us on Facebook to see the reaction of the people.

After eating, I got another ice cream bowl to go and then, we left. This time, I let him drive because I wanted to eat my ice cream before it melted.

"Lindo, I think you should tell your parents that I am pregnant. You can't go to my parents without them, otherwise, my dad is going to kill you for real", I said worriedly.

"Is he that pissed?" He asked and I nodded.

"He was so pissed that he shouted at me and you know they never shout at me", I said and he cleared his throat and rubbed his neck.

"Okay, that is bad", he said quietly. "I'll go tell them now", he said as he parked the car in my yard.

"Yeah, your parents are back now. You might have to come talk to my parents tomorrow since it's Saturday, unless of course my parents want to do it the old Zulu traditional way", I said and he nodded. He got out the car and came to open my door for me. "What's this?" I asked.

"Well, since you're carrying my child, I want to take care of you", he said and I laughed.

"I'm pregnant not retarded", I said. He helped me out the car. "And I am not heavily pregnant yet", I said and he took out his bag from the car.

"You have a serious problem. Do you ever shut up?" He asked jokingly and I playfully punched his arm.

"Shut up", I said.

"Let me go see my parents. I love you. See you tomorrow", he said and hugged me.

"You're still saying it", I said quietly.

"Saying what?" He asked and I shook my head.

"Never mind. Bye Ndo", I said as I walked away.

The next morning, my mom came running into my room while I was getting dressed. She looked to be both nervous and excited. Once she was in my room, she kept bouncing on the spot looking at me. I was starting to get a little freaked out by her behaviour, so I cleared my throat.