Chapter Forty Four - Nab

"How did it go?" Evergreen asked as we appeared.

"Pretty well," I said, shrugging. "I got a bit hurt, but I'm good."

Or I will be, anyway, once Porlyusica clears me.

Though my shoulder still stings a bit.

I noticed Enno (who is more often in the main hall than not) sitting in the corner next to Macao, sniffling and wiping away tears.

"Enno?" I asked. "What's wrong?"

Apparently, it was pretty bad, because Enno burst into tears and turned to hug Macao. While Macao still looked a bit confused on what to do, he almost automatically gave her a hug.

She sobbed harder, and most of the other kids looked concerned, while Evergreen and Bickslow (who appeared to know what was happening) only looked sad.

"What happened?" I asked, turning to the others.

Makarov answered. "Enno's aunt passed. When Enno turned sixteen, she left her home and joined the guild, where she's lived for three years."

Enno cried harder.

"She got the letter this morning," Makarov continued. "She's going to need to pick up her little cousin. Enno's parents had died when they were much younger, and she moved in with her aunt and her cousin. Her uncle let. Now her cousin is the only family she has left."

"Do you want me to take you?" I asked her.

She cried harder, but let go of Macao and hugged me. "Yeah, thanks Ellie-girl."

"Let's go," I said, taking her hand. "Where to?"

She named the town and grabbed my hand, as I whisked us off. We appeared in a small looking village, and I pulled off my wrist cuffs for all of the requipping I was going to have to do. My power was a bit wild, and was especially excited to be fully used again, after all the fighting I did earlier. It was glad that I was going to be packing up a house. I tried to mentally shush it for being so disrespectful. Then I realized what I was doing, mentally screamed, and continued forward.

Enno lead me to her house and knocked on the door, which opened almost immediately.

"Enno!" cried a small voice, and a boy rushed out and tackled her, crying.

As she cried and embraced her younger brother, I was surprised to recognize him.

Nab? I thought.

Looking back and forth between them, there were many things they had in common – the hair, the eyes, their skin. Though Nab's skin was darker and Enno's hair was light enough to tell it was purple. The biggest thing they had in common was the way they dress. Before the seven year time gap, Nab was pretty well built, too.

Eventually, Enno and Nab released from their hug, and Enno turned to introduce me, wiping away her tears. "Nab, this is Ellie. She's a member of my guild, too. Remember the letters?"

He nodded, turning to me. "Nice to meet you, Ellie. Is it okay to call you that?"

"It's fine," I said. "It's nice to meet you, too, Nab. I'm here because of my teleportation and requip skills. I'll help you move to Magnolia."