Chapter Fourteen: Disappointed

Start from the beginning

My mom would hear dad parking the car outside and she would go and meet him outside. They would sort of run to each other and then hug each other. The hug would last a few minutes and they would talk to each other while hugging. After that, they would pull apart and share a kiss. I watched them do this because I loved knowing that they loved each other.

I listened attentively as they walked up the stairs. They were talking about something and when my dad opened the door for my mom, he saw me standing at the staircase that led to the second storey. He frowned, (I think he was processing what he was seeing) and then he smiled.

“Baby girl”, he said as he walked up to me. He hugged me and I didn’t say a word. “What are you doing here?” He asked.

“I need to talk to you”, I said quietly.

“Couldn't it have waited until after the dance tour?” He asked and I shook my head. “Okay, may we eat first? I’m starving” he said and I nodded.

I helped mom dish out and then we sat together at the dining table. My dad said grace and then we ate. They were having a conversation, which they both tried to include me in, but I wasn't interested. I was having an internal panic attack. My dad was surely going to freak out when he found out what happened.

“Baby girl, you’ve been awfully quiet all evening. What’s bothering you?” asked my dad. I looked at my mom for help and she shrugged.

“Let me give you some time alone; I need to wash the dishes”, she said and I looked at her in utter shock. All she did was laugh and walk away after she got the dishes together. My dad was watching me like a hawk, waiting for me to say something. I panicked and said the first thing that came to mind.

“DadI'mtwelveweekspregnantandLindoisthefather”, I said in a hurried sentence. It might have sounded like an outburst, but at least it was out there now. All I had to do now was wait for the freak out and then, I would know where I stand with him. Knowing him, I’d probably fall out of favor with him.

“You're what? By who?” He asked lowly, like he did when he was pissed but didn't want to show the level of his anger. I know this because, I do it too.

“I said, I'm twelve weeks pregnant and Lindo is the father”, I said slower.

“I heard that”, he said.

“Then why did you ask?” I asked and he looked at me through narrowed eyes.

“Are you back chatting to me?” He asked in a dangerously low voice.

“No”, I said.

“How about you shut up and not say a thing until I am done talking?” He said and I kept quiet. “When did this happen?” And I didn’t reply. “I’m talking to you”, he shouted and I flinched. “You better answer me before I get seriously angry get at you” he continued.

“You said I shouldn’t speak until you’re done speaking”, I said. He stood up and walked over to me.

“Don’t act smart with me young lady. Are you ready to be a mother, huh? Why the hell did you get into bed with that boy? Speaking of him, I am going to wring his neck! How dare he touch you? Thando, what were you thinking?” He asked.

“Daddy, I wasn't. I didn't even plan this. I didn't do it on purpose. Please don't hurt him”, I pleaded.

“Don’t hurt him, Thando? Don’t hurt him? I am going to kill him!” He shouted and my mom walked into the dining room.

“Honey, please calm down. She didn’t do it on purpose”, she said.

“Baby, don't get involved. This is between Thando and I”, he said.