Chapter 48: The Man Behind the Mask

I was finally back to my full strength. My powers were back and I was able to fly again. As reward for helping me, I let Megumi sleep with me every night. No, not what you think!

Megumi just sleeps by my side every night. She's been dying to ever since she joined Tobi.

Megumi's POV

I lied next to Nue as she was sleeping. This has to be a dream come true. The two of were back to back as she slept. Because it was the middle of the day, this was the time Nue sleeps until nightfall. It was a peaceful moment until I heard someone outside the door.

I opened my eyes and glanced towards the door. "Nue-kun." I said, trying to wake her up. "Nue-kun." I tried again while tapping her arm this time. Nue rolled on her side so she was facing me and wrapped her arm around my waist.

I blushed madly with a smile as she did this. "Ah~... Nue-kun..." I said in ecstasy. I never knew she was such a cuddler. "What is it, Megumi?" Nue mumbled. "I think there's someone at the door." I said. Nue's eyes opened immediately and sat up.

"Wait here." Nue instructed before getting up from the bed.

Nue's POV

I opened the door to find no one there. "There's no one here, Megumi." I informed. "But I could've I heard someone." Megumi said. "It was probably Suigetsu being a weirdo." I said. "That water guy?" She asked.

"Yeah. You wanna get something to eat?" I asked. "Sure." Megumi got out of bed and followed me to the kitchen. "Ne, Nue-kun. I've been thinking about something lately." Megumi mentioned. "About what?" I asked as I tossed her some strawberry yogurt.

"Well..." She caught the yogurt with one hand. "Now, that your powers are back, what are you gonna do?" She asked. "I'm gonna run away." I answered, plainly. "Again?! Are you insane?! Tobi will hurt you again!" Megumi said.

"Not unless I get out of here fast enough." I explained as I ate a spoonful of my own yogurt. "Nue-kun, think rationally for a second here! If you run off again, Tobi will break you and he's gonna keep breaking you until there's no hope for you left." She explained.

"I'm not afraid of him, Megumi."

"After all he's done to you! How could you not be?!"

"It's all about confidence. I just need to maintain that."

"Okay, but what if he breaks that, too?! Once he finds out you're back to heath, he's just gonna break you again!"

"He can try, but he won't get close to breaking me again."

"Nue-kun, if he's done it once, he can do it again."

I stared down at my yogurt as I thought about what Megumi was saying. I've been tortured twice and I'm definitely not ready for a third torture session. If I leave, Tobi will definitely hurt me. But I can't just sit here and do nothing while the people I care about are getting hurt. "Let's leave." I said.

"Huh?" Megumi looked at me in confusion as she had the spoon in her mouth. "Tobi's not in the hideout right now. We could just escape. Right now." I said. "Have you not heard one word I've said?! If you go out there, you're basically telling Tobi to punish you again!" Megumi said.

"He's gonna keep hurt me either way, Megumi!" I argued while standing up from my chair. "Don't you get it? It's all the same! He gonna keep this up until I submit to him!" I snapped. I fell to the floor, lying on my side. "Nue-kun! Are you all right?" Megumi asked, panicked.

"All that yelling made me tired. I'm so weak right now." I said, lazily. "And lazy." She mumbled. I heard that." I mentioned. "You were meant to. Come on, get off the floor." Megumi said, walking out from behind the table to get to me.