Chapter 31: Suffering Another Loss

Karin's POV

A little bit after Sasuke left, Suigetsu and Kisame started talking until they got into a fight. I looked at Nue as she continued to sleep. What amazed was how she could sleep through all the noise that's going on.

"Take this!" Suigetsu shouted as he aimed for Kisame's head. I gasped when I saw Nue block the attack with her blue tails. Was she awake? No, she's still sleeping. Was she sleepwalking?

"I forgot the kid had a knack for getting in battles in her sleep. It was annoying at first, but it actually turned out to come in handy." Kisame said. Nue yawned in her sleep as her tails slowly retreated from Suigetsu's blade.

Nue frowned in her sleep as she began whimpering. "What's up with her?" Suigetsu asked. Before anyone could answer, Nue pounced at him and punched him in the face. "Looks like Nue is having a bad dream." Kisame said with a grin.

"A nightmare? In her sleep?" I asked as Nue sat on Suigetsu's stomach, continuing to punch him. "Her dreams seem so real to her, she has a tendency to fight in real life." Kisame explained. "Get her off me!" Suigetsu yelled before Nue punched him again.

Kisame chuckled before walking over to Nue. As she was about to punch Suigetsu again, Kisame grabbed her wrist. "You got him, Nue. You can stop now." He said to her. He let go of her wrist as she slowly lowered it to her side.

"The key is you have to convince Nue that's really is in battle and tell her that her fight is over." Kisame explained. "And that she believes that?" Jugo asked. "Sometimes." Kisame answered. Nue got off Suigetsu and leaned herself against Kisame's chest.

"She's a cute kid. She's also full of surprises." He commented as he held her against his chest. "What do you mean?" I asked. "It means what it means." He stated. Nue furrowed her eyebrows before slowly opening her eyes.

"Rise and shine, kiddo." Kisame greeted. "I'm still sleepy." Nue said, childishly.

"Then, go back to sleep."

"But... I wanna be awake when Itachi comes back."

Nue's POV

I pushed myself off Kisame's chest and rubbed my eyes. "How long have I been asleep?" I asked Kisame. "Not long. Speaking of which, what were you dreaming about?" He asked. "I don't wanna get into it right now." I said.

"You always say that." Kisame replied, bluntly. I levitated a few feet off the ground. "I think I'm gonna fly around for a bit." I said before flying towards the clouds. If I haven't slept that long, then that means Itachi isn't done with his battle with Sasuke.

I wanted to go help Itachi, but this was his battle, and I can't interfere. I miss Deidara. I wish he was here. Wait a second! Is Tobi even alive?! He was in the woods, too! Did he get caught in the blast?! Then, does that mean... have I lost another family member?

Suddenly, I got all these flashbacks of me having fun times with Sasori, Hidan, Kakuzu, and Deidara. I remember Sasori training me at night, Hidan and Kakuzu fighting over whether or not I should learn and follow the Way of Jashin, and Deidara and I being together as we gazed up at the stars until he fell asleep.

"Deidara," I stopped in the air and curled myself up into a ball. "Please... come back... I'm sorry... I'm sorry for leaving you behind. I'm scared... Please come back to me." I begged. I gripped my head in my hands as tears ran down my cheeks.

I jerked my head up when I heard lightning strike. "What was that?" I asked myself as I looked towards the direction the strike came from. Deciding to investigate it, I flew towards the direction I heard the lightning strike.