Chapter 30: Karin's Guardian Angel

Nue's POV

I continued to sleep as I dreamed of Deidara until I felt someone reaching for my necklace. I quickly took out my gun and aimed it under the person's chin with my eyes still closed. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't pull the trigger." I said, coldly, before opening my eyes to see Sasuke kneeling beside me.

"What do you want, Uchiha?" I demanded as I stood up, the gun still aimed at him. "Tell me where Itachi is." He commanded. "How about "no" and dream on?" I said before punching him in the stomach. I jumped back and placed my finger on the trigger.

"I should kill you where you stand. But because of him... I won't." I said before putting my gun away. I turned around and took off into the sky. I tucked the locket necklace inside my shirt as I flew through the sky.

When I was far away from Sasuke, I stopped near the woods and landed on my feet. "Holy smokes! Nue, is that you?" I turned around and spotted Kakashi's ninja hound, Guruko.

I remember when I became chunin, I had Guruko and I became partners

I remember when I became chunin, I had Guruko and I became partners. On every tough mission we were assigned, we always had each other's back and fought side by side. I really enjoyed our partnership.  "Hey, old pal." I greeted with a small smile.

"I thought you were dead. Man, you have no idea how much I want lick your face right now." Guruko said, making me chuckle. "I wouldn't mind if you did." I said. I kneeled down as he ran over to me. I hugged him softly as I closed my eyes with a smile.

"I've missed you so much, old friend." I said, softly. I let go of him and he looked at me. "How are you even alive? Why didn't you come back to the village?" Guruko asked. "I'm sorry, but I can't go back there. Not after what I've done." I said.

"What are you talking about? Of course you can come back. You're a comrade."

"You don't understand, Guruko. I can never go back there. I'm with Akatsuki."

"Akatsuki?!"

"It's a long story. Wait a second, what are you doing out here by yourself, anyway?"

"I'm not by myself. I'm with Akino and Shino."

"What?!"

I was too slow to react as bugs quickly surrounded me. "Shit." I murmured. "Do you remember me, Nue?" Shino asked as he stepped out from behind a couple of bushes.  "What kind of question is that? Of course I remember you. You're only person I know who could control bugs." I said.

"It's nice to feel remembered by someone." He replied. "Sulking again, huh? You haven't changed a bit, Shino." I said with a deadpan expression. "Man, you smell like grass." Akino said. "And you smell like a dog." I shot back.

"Man, you sound a lot like Shino." Guruko sweat dropped. I did fall asleep on the ground earlier, so of course I smell like grass. "Are you going to kill me, or are you going to take me back to the village?" I demanded.