Chapter 17: What's Done is Done

Nue's POV

I watched as Hidan's head rolled to the side. "We... We did it. We did it!" Izumo cheered as Shikamaru and Asuma panted. Shikamaru released his Shadow Stitches Jutsu on Hidan's vody, letting it drop to the ground.

Shikamaru fell to his knees, exhausted. "Shikamaru!" Izumo called out in worry. "Are you okay?" Kotetsu asked. "All right, that's... that's one down." Shikamaru panted. "Yeah, and one more to go." Kotetsu said, looking at us while Asuma looked at us, too.

"If you wanted our help, Hidan, you should've asked sooner." Kakuzu said. Hidan's eyes shot open and shouted, "It was you! You're the slow one, Kakuzu! It was on purpose, wasn't it?"

I sighed as Hidan shouted. "You were the one who told us to stay out of it at the start. I don't think you're in any position to complain right now." Kakuzu said. "Kakuzu's right, Hidan. It was your recklessness that got you in trouble in the first place." I said.

Hidan shut his mouth, knowing we were right. He groaned and looked at his body, then chuckled. "All right, all right. Point taken. So, maybe I did tell you two not to but in. But, uh, I assure you, my friend, it wasn't out of disrespect or anything like that. Anyway Kakuzu, would you mind brining my body over here to me?" Hidan asked.

I raised an eyebrow at him, unamused. "Come on, Kakuzu. Won't you please bring my body back to my head? Please, Kakuzu? Old friend? Pretty please?" Hidan begged. Kakuzu and I vanished to Hidan's head and the ninjas gasped at our speed.

"Allow me." I said as I bent down and picked up Hidan's head. "Huh? No, wait! Hey, what are you doing, Nue? I asked you to bring my body to my head. Not the other way around. Don't you get it?" Hidan said.

"Quit your complaining. It's lighter this way." I told him. "What do I care? This isn't about you. Hey, are you even listening to me?" Hidan said. I emotionlessly stared off into space as I used my free hand to twist my pinkie in my ear.

"Sorry, didn't catch that. What did you say?" I asked, toying with him as I lowered my hand to my side. "Ow, ow! That hurts. Hey, Nue! You're pulling my hair! Do you mind?" Hidan said. "I would think your neck wound would hurt more." Kakuzu said.

"You idiot, of course it does! It hurts like a son of a bitch! This is no ordinary injury, let me tell you!" Hidan told him. I lifted Hidan's head so we were face to face sighed and lifted his head so he was face to face with me.

"So, does it hurt if I do this?" I asked as I gripped his hair tighter. I knew it would hurt him. I just wanted him to say it. "Yeah, it really, really hurts, you know?! You fools have no idea how incredibly painful it is having your head sliced off!" Hidan yelled in my face.

I rolled my eyes and lowered my hand to the side so his head was by my side. "What... What's going on? It doesn't make sense." Kotetsu said as Shikamaru continued to pant. "I don't know how to explain this one. I mean, how did...?" Izumo trailed off.

"Yeah, but you gotta look on the bright side. Even if he's still alive... so long as he's not attached to his body, he can't perform any jutsu." Shikamaru panted. "He might be immortal, but he's completely useless." He said.

"That's true, but that means just one left to go." Kotetsu said. "Yeah, but still... we're not sure what Nue and that other guy can do." Shikamaru said. "What do you mean? We already know what Nue can do." Izumo said.

"Not exactly. With Nue being in Akatsuki for three years, who knows what she's learned." Shikamaru explained. I glared at them, as did Kakuzu. Just by looking at Shikamaru, I knew he was thinking. Probably trying to figure out what Kakuzu can do.