Chapter 54: Lying Low

"So, what's the plan here, Nue?" Karin asked as we were back in the Houjuu Clan. Megumi, Karin, and I were huddled in a circle as our knees were hugged to our chests. It's been a few days since Megumi joined forces with us.

I didn't exactly trust her yet, so I'm waiting for her to prove her worthy. "Nue?"

"Hmm?" I looked at Karin as she spoke. "I'm sorry. I spaced out for a bit." I apologized. "It's fine. So, what's the plan?" She repeated. "Well, first, we need to lie low for a while. We're also going to need some supplies and food." I said.

"But how are we supposed to get them? You're dead, remember? If you go out there and someone recognizes you, you're toast." Megumi reminded me. "You also made me disappear when you took me with you. So, if anyone sees me, I'm a goner, too." Karin chimed in.

"Hmm... Megumi," I looked at her. "Do you think you can go into a nearby town and get as many supplies as we need?" I asked her. "You can count of me." Megumi smirked with a nod while making a fist of confidence.

"Good. Once you've got the supplies, I want you to meet us back here." I said. "What should we do in the meantime, Nue?" Karin asked. "Do you know how to use a gun?" I asked her. "Um... Not really." She answered.

"Don't worry, I'll help you. Megumi, go and get the supplies." I ordered. "Right." She nodded and headed off. "Make sure no one spots you!" I called. "Are you sure we can trust her?" Karin asked. "Honestly, I don't think we can. But her skills and technique are reliable, so she could be a good ally." I said.

"If you say so." She mumbled. "Come on. Shooting time." I said, grabbing her hand and taking her outside. Using my powers, I created a three practice targets and hung them on the Houjuu wall. "You've seriously never shot from a gun before?" I asked.

"No." Karin answered. "Don't worry, it's very easy." I assured her. "If you say so." She mumbled. "Here," I created a gun in my hand and handed it to her. "Practice time. You see this thing? This is the trigger. You pull that and it fires. Here, I'll show you." I offered.

I went behind Karin and helped her hold the gun between her hands. "It's like a camera. Just point, and shoot." I instructed. Karin gave a nod and closed one of her eyes before shooting the target I set up. The bullet missed it by a few inches. 

"Good job. But this time, keep both eyes open." I advised. "Right." She responded. "Also, take a deep breath before pulling the trigger. Make sure your breaths are slow and steady." I informed. "Right." Karin repeated.

Karin took a slow and calming breath before shooting again. She hit the target, but not the middle. "Better. Let's keep at it." I said. "You know what they say: Practice makes perfect. But are you sure it's a good idea to be training here? What if someone hears the shots?" Karin asked.

"Don't worry. Nobody knows that the Houjuu Clan exists. I'm glad the Houjuu Clan elder decided to keep it that way. If humans found out about this place... well, I don't really wanna go into detail of what they might do." I said.

"So... am I the only one human who knows about this place?" She asked. "Uh-huh. The one and only human." I confirmed. "I... I'm really sorry about what happened to this place. I know it was your home, and I know how much you loved your people." Karin said.

My eyes softened slightly as I rested my chin on her shoulder. "I really miss them." I whispered. "I'm sure they miss you, too. If only they lived long enough to see how strong you've become." She replied, trying to cheer me up.

I smiled at her and wrapped my arms around her waist. "Thanks, Karin." I said. "I'm baaack~." Megumi sang as she made her way over to us. "That was quick. You got everything in just five minutes?" I asked. "I work fast." Megumi grinned.