Chapter 18

Chapter 18
Edit: 1-06/26

Song of the Chapter is Firefly by Ed Sheeran

Chapter is shorter than usual sorry

-----❁❀❊❀❁-----

***CRAWFORD POV***

"Evangeline!" I shook her body. She looked dead almost, eyes open and not moving. The only thing reassuring me she was alive was how slowly her chest was rising up and down. She was breathing heavily.

"What happened?!"

"Can't." Deep breath. "Breath."

"Althea! Zedd! Get to Evangeline's room as fast as possible! Last room down the same hallway as Althea. "

"Coming," Althea answered.

"On my way," Zedd responded.

Doctor Zedd, really named Sage, was our pack doctor and Althea was our healer. If a situation couldn't be fixed medically, Althea stepped in. She had a special connection with spirits and also nature, not as strong as Evangeline's though. Althea had a way to communicate with lost souls, ones that hadn't crossed over and she could ask them for help and information.

They both ran through the door at the same time and rushed over to me.

"What happened?" Zedd started.

"I don't know. Alex could feel something was wrong with her and then we ran downstairs to find her like this."

"Feel?"

"She's my mate. But that's beside the point. Just please help her!"

"Don't worry, we'll figure it out."

I backed out of their way and let them check up on my mate.

Doctor Zedd started with the most obvious problem, her breathing. She took out her stethoscope and moved it around, listening to her breathing for a moment before turning to me.

"There isn't enough oxygen entering her body every time she inhales and too much gasses leaving when she exhales. This is more than just a medical situation though. Althea, what do you think?"

"My grandfather dealt with a similar case," she passed the room. "From the past mother earth. He used to talk to me all the time about her. She hasn't exited the castle, let alone her room in days. With no plants around or anything bringing an extra supply of oxygen in."

She stopped in front of me. "The air she has been breathing isn't pure enough, especially with the connection she has to nature. It's only natural that she is around some form of life constantly that can produce oxygen for her. Nature is a huge part of who she is."

"This is actually all your fault!"

Don't you think I know that?

"Shit!"

"What was that?" Zedd asked.

"Well, she came to ask me a few days ago if she could go outside and explore. She was practically begging, but I said no and told her to leave me alone and then she just ran out of my office and I haven't seen her since."

"You mean she's probably been like this or a few days?"

"Last time I saw her was when she came to talk to me, 2 days ago."

"Okay. We have to fix this right away.  It's best to leave her lying down right here so we have to get as many plants possible in here, open all the windows and even get an air purifier just for an extra push." She said.

Mr. Nowak, I need all plants and flowers you have in your shop. There is an emergency and I'll pay double or everything and I'll send guards to come pick them up in a few minutes.

"Very well. I'll get them prepared."

Thank you. Good day.

When I was finished mind-linking our royal florist, I walked over to my mate and kneeled down beside her.

Guards, I want as many of you as possible to go to Mr. Nowak's shop. Take everything he gives you and bring it to the 7th floor, last room down the east wind.

No one mind linked me back, just as they weren't supposed to. It was a sign of disrespect.

Still kneeled down beside her bed, I couldn't let my eyes leave her's. The were still open and every once in a while blinking, slowly. They were a deep brown color, beautiful.

I hardly even noticed when a bunch of guards walked into the room, quickly dropping pots on tables or the floor and then leaving.

Althea finished opening the last of the windows and then grabbed a larger plant, I had no clue what it was. She placed it right by where I was seated, beside Evangeline.

Zedd then walked in a placed an air purifier on my mate's nightstand and turned it on.

In the next half an hour, her breathing became a little steadier, not as deep.

I turned to Doctor Zedd and Althea. "Thank you for helping her." With that, I turned and walked out of the room.

***EVANGELINE POV***

There was a bunch of commotion going around my room and a presence beside me. I could tell it was Crawford beside me, he was staring at me as I did the same back, not that I had much of a choice. I still couldn't move. Not until my breathing went back to normal.

By the time that happened, Crawford was gone and I was left wondering if he was ever there at all.

I was left wondering if he ever cared at all.

------
Question of the chapter:

Can you dance?

I used to do hip hop, intermediate-advance. I was shit at it so I have no clue why I was in advance. I was like 10 and legit looked like a dancing ball.
Super short and overweight. But oh well.

Laurenxx