Chapter Seven: Cookham 32 Rocks Tembisa

Start from the beginning

“My, my, my; don’t you just look gorgeous tonight?” he said as he gave me another hug. He was pretty tall, so I had to stand on my toes to reach him properly.

“Yes, she does”, Langa said.

“Lady, are you single?” asked S’busiso and I laughed.

“Yes, she is. Her number is 072—“, Lorraine started and I held her mouth.

“LORRY; hush!” I said and she just laughed. I got a weird look from Lindo and I brushed it off. All the band members and S’pha were now standing outside the gate with us.

“Let me introduce you to the band. Band, these are my friends, Lorraine and her fiancé Bryan. This is Cookham 32, my beautiful boy band. This is Monde; he sings and plays keyboard. This is Calvin and he is the DJ. Then this is Perfect and Langa and they are both singers. Next to them is S’busiso and he plays the trumpet. Thuso is the synthesizer, and well, you know Lindo and he also sings. And you’ve met S’pha”, I said, waving my hand around the whole place.

“It’s a pleasure meeting you”, Monde said, with a smile and shook Lorraine’s and Bryan’s hands. After the introduction, we set up a way to drive to Tembisa. There were eleven of us and three cars. Lindo and S’pha rode in my car, while Thuso and Calvin rode in Bryan’s car. Perfect, Monde and Langa rode in S’busiso’s car.

When we arrived at the club in Tembisa, it was packed. There were cars everywhere. The security guards asked us who we were and once they heard that it was the band and its entourage, they looked for a private parking space for all three cars. Once we had parked, the guys helped move the equipment into the club. It was around eight o’ clock at night and there were some people who were already drunk.

Lorraine and I were standing next to my car, waiting for the guys, when this drunk guy came and stopped in front of us. He looked us over like he was picking who to hit on. He was pretty drunk and he kept rocking back and forth.

“Anisebahle (which means, you two are beautiful)”, he slurred and stepped closer to Lorraine. He looked at me. “You have a white friend. I’ve been looking for a white girlfriend”, he said with a lopsided grin. I wanted to laugh, but Lorraine looked like she was uncomfortable, so I didn’t.

“Okay; we’re leaving now”, I said and took a hold of Lorraine’s hand. As I pulled her with me, the guy stopped us.

“Niyakuphi (which means, where are you going)?” he asked. Lorraine struggled to get her hand out of his grip and I squeezed her hand. She looked at me and I shook my head at her.

“To find our boyfriends”, I said and he let go of her hand. Bryan and Lindo showed up just as we were walking away from him.

“I’ll come find you later, my vanilla sister”, the drunk man said, and I couldn’t hold it anymore. I burst out laughing and Lorraine hit me with her purse.

“Shut up”, she said, and I laughed some more.

“What is she laughing at?” Bryan asked.

“She got hit on by that drunk guy over there. He called her “my vanilla sister”, I said and laughed all over again.

“It’s not funny, Thando. He said he was going to come find me”, Lorraine said.

“I’ll go sort him out now”, Bryan growled.

“No, don’t. Let’s not start some mess”, Lorraine told him. I had sobered up now and looked at Lindo. He was quiet and kept giving me this weird look. He looked like his vision clouded over; like he was looking at me, but past me. I squirmed under his intense gaze and turned to look at Lorraine.