Chapter Two: Lover or Cheat?

Start from the beginning

"How's Joburg? Is everything okay? How's the apartment? Did you get a car? And furniture? And have you seen Lindo and S'pha and Alex?" she asked in one breath. I laughed at her eagerness.

"Mom, relax. Haibo", I said. "Joburg is good. Everything is great. The apartment is perfect. I got a red Polo Vivo and of course, I got furniture. I have seen Lindo Alex and S'pha. Lindo is here, actually", I said.

"I'm sorry. I just got excited for you", she said, sheepishly. "May I speak to Lindo?" she said excitedly. I frowned.

"Mom, do you have a crush on my best friend?" I asked jokingly. She burst out laughing.

"Who wouldn't have one? He's gorgeous", she replied. I rolled my eyes.

"Me", I said.

"Well, that's because you are blind", she said. I chuckled.

"Don't be ridiculous", I said. I turned to look at Lindo. "Hey Ndo, mom wants to talk to you", I said. He got up from the beanbag and walked over to me. I handed him the phone. He took it and smiled.
"Hi Mrs Magagula", he said. "I'm well, and you ma?" he asked. I tuned them out, looking at Lindo, taking in his appearance. He had short black hair and fair skin. He had a strong jawline and perfect-looking lips; his bottom lip was slightly pink. He had a smile on his face as he spoke to my mom. That smile always took my breath away. He really was handsome.

My eyes travelled down his neck and I saw his Adam's apple bobbing as he swallowed. That was absolutely sexy in my eyes. When I realized what I was thinking, I shook my head. No. That's not the way I should think of my best friend. I looked at him again, looking at his broad shoulders and imagined what it would feel to be in his arms as he kissed me. My vision went out of focus, as my daydream felt real.

I heard my name being called from a distance, but my head was not there. I could feel Lindo's hands on my waist and his lips moving in perfect sync with mine. Lindo appeared in my view, clicking his fingers in front of my face. I was literally snapped out of my reverie. I looked down when I realized that I couldn't hear Lindo calling for me, while I was having inappropriate thoughts about him. I took the phone as he handed it to me and cleared my throat.

"Yes mom", I said. Lindo was standing in between my legs and his hands were on my thighs. He looked up at me with a smile on his face. I smiled back, but couldn't shake off the zoo that I felt in my stomach.

"Baby, I have to go. I have to design dresses for Connie Ferguson and her daughters", she said excitedly. I was truly happy for her. She was living her dream and she was very talented; even if I do say so myself about my mom.

"Oh. That's wonderful mom. It was nice talking to you. Say hi to dad for me", I said.

"Same here, baby. I will and I love you", she said.

"I love you too", I said and disconnected the call. I placed the phone on the counter.

"Your mom is funny", Lindo said. I looked at him and he smiled.

"I don't know about that", I said. Lindo ran his hands up and down my thighs and I felt tingles. I looked at his hands. He stopped moving them.

"Ndo, why don't you look at me anymore?" he asked, sounding a bit hurt. I cleared my throat and shifted on the counter. "Thando, please look at me", he said. I was scared of looking at him now, when I remembered my little reverie from earlier. He lifted my chin with his index finger. I looked into his eyes and I felt like I was floating. "Why don't you look at me anymore?" he asked.

"I am looking at you", I replied.

"Only because I had to lift your face up", he said, as a matter of fact. I looked down again. "See what I mean?" he asked. I raised my head bravely and looked into his eyes.

"I'm looking at you, Ndo", I said stubbornly. He eyes roamed my face and then they landed on my lips. My breath hitched and I bit my bottom lip nervously.
"I want to kiss you", he whispered. "May I kiss you?" he asked his voice barely above a whisper. He moved closer to me and I could smell his body spray. My breathing quickened as he placed a kiss on my neck. My hands started moving on their own accord, as I wrapped my arms around his neck. "May I kiss you?" he murmured against my jaw. I shivered.

"Hmm", I said.

"What's that, Ndo?" he asked.

"Yes", I said breathlessly. He then crashed his lips on mine. He pulled me closer to him and I thought I would go crazy. The kiss was so sweet and tender; like Lindo was scared I would disappear. After what felt like forever, Lindo pulled away. My eyes were still closed and I didn't want to open them, or else I would see regret in Lindo's eyes and I didn't want to see that. I felt him gently bite my lower lip. I inhaled sharply and my eyes shot open, and he chuckled and stepped back...

"Uhm... Thando..." he said. I quickly jumped off the counter.

"Yes, Lindo", I said looking anywhere but his face.

"Are you okay?" he asked and I chuckled nervously.

"Yeah! Yeah... Why wouldn't I be?" I said. "I'm gonna watch some TV", I said.

"And I'm going to take a much needed shower. See you in a few", he said and kissed my forehead. He walked away and left me in a daze. Lindo was officially my first kiss; and that was the best way to start this kissing game. I might have lost my bearings for a moment there.

While I was trying to recollect my thoughts, I heard the water running in the shower. I suddenly felt like releasing my frustrations, so I moved the couch, coffee table and bean bags to make room for dancing. I put in a random hip hop track and increased the volume so I couldn't hear the water in the shower. The first song ended and then the next one played.
I danced like my life depended on it and once that song was done, I heard clapping. I froze because, I had forgotten that Lindo was in the house. If you haven't noticed, I seem to lose myself every time I dance.

"You are very talented, Ndo", he said. I laughed humourlessly, as I wiped my sweaty forehead.

"Thank you. Let me take a shower; I feel sticky", I said. I looked at Lindo and saw that he was dressed in the same clothes as yesterday. "After my shower, we're going to your commune to get you a fresh change of clothes".

"Fine by me", he said. I nodded and went to pick out a new outfit since I had ruined my white top with my sweat. Once I had everything, I went into the bathroom and took my shower.

Once that was done, Lindo and I went to his commune. Upon our arrival, S'pha and Alex were sitting outside. Lindo went into the room to go change his clothes, while I sat with S'pha and Alex.

"Have you met Lindo's girlfriend?" Alex asked out of the blue. I choked on air. Lindo has a girlfriend? And why didn't I hear of this earlier? And why would he kiss me if he has a girlfriend?

"Uhm... We haven't gotten around to that", I said quietly. I don't know why, but I felt hurt. I mean, it was kind of stupid of me to kiss him and to think that he doesn't have a girlfriend. This is Johannesburg for crying out loud. Girls around here are gorgeous. Plus, Lindo is also gorgeous; of course he has a girlfriend. Maybe he was just missing his girlfriend; that's why he kissed me. Yeah; that's it, I concluded mentally.

"She is smokey hot, I tell you", Alex continued.

"I can imagine", I mumbled. "Guys, I have to go. I need to go to campus. Tell Lindo I'll see him later" I said.

"You're leaving so soon?" S'pha asked incredulously. I nodded. I blew them kisses, grabbed my keys and left. As I shut the door of my car, Lindo left the bedroom and saw me start the car. He got ready to run to me, but I raised my hand signalling for him to stop. He froze mid-step looking confused and I smiled and waved. I drove away without a second glance in his direction.