[4] James Parker

CHAPTER IV

Jane and I started walking towards the room 104, before we could reach towards the room, I hear the footsteps following us

As I turn around to look after the owner of the steps I saw the receptionist standing just a step away from me, which startled me for a second, she did look scary for a while. Covering up my fear I raised my eyebrow to know the reason of her coming behind us.

"You forget your badges," she said handing me two badges the word "VISITOR" printed with bold letters on it.

After handling us the badges she turned around and walked away. At least she can smile, I thought.

As I reach to the room 104, the number just staring back at me, as if saying there was going to be a lot behind this single door, ready to come out, I sense the uneasy feeling rising in my stomach. So many of murders and death but I'm had never felt like this before.

"Anne?" Jane's concern voice brought me back in front of the deep dark colored door.

"Are you feeling alright?" she asked.

"Yeah, I'm okay," saying I turn the door knob, in the process making the grunge voice of old door.

The smell of medicines hit my nostrils, I look around the room.

The hospital room is a concrete pen with a window the size of a biscuit tin lid. It has a stagnant smell like it's cleaned with plain water instead of disinfectant. The bed sits low to the ground, the frame bearing the signs of rust and the mattress worryingly thin. And the human figure lying on it. It felt weird to visit a patient. I don't know what is happening to me.

I walk at the front, a chart was stuck to the bar at the bedpost.

James Parker
Status: Stable
Admittance: 01:30 am
Cause of Admittance: A danger to self, others
Diagnosis: Unknown
Duration: Unknown

"I walk towards James, he was a young guy, still in his teens, he looked like an innocent boy. How could he think of murdering someone?

"Anne, he is asleep, how are we going to talk to him," Jane asked me, I had forgotten for a second that she was accompanying me.

I was thinking about how to talk to James when the shifting of his body and small grunts make me look at the waking up the victim or as per the report the murderer.

His eyes open still trying to adjust the light around him, he glanced at his hands which are been attached to the machines.

He looks at us, trying to speak but no words come out of his mouth.

"Hey, I'm Anne Scout from the Lakewood local news and this is Jane," I said quickly introducing myself.

"How are you feeling James," I asked but he just kept staring at the ceiling ignoring our presence.