[2] The Red File

CHAPTER II

My resignation letter was ready once I reach home, it was all going to be over,  hefty Keynes was going to get surprised tomorrow

I put the envelope in my office bag, putting it back in my closet when my phone rang bringing back my smile after seeing Derrick's name flashing on it, he is the best boyfriend a girl could possibly have and he knows how to make my day better after spending my whole day in some useless news, he can support me for a while till I finish finding another job my. 

Before the ring would go off I pick up the phone, listening to a furious Derrick on another side.

"Anne," Derrick said my name, his voice was not happy something was wrong with him.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked him wanting to know what was troubling him so much.

"Can we meet, I need to tell you something important," saying this he was scaring me, was he going to break up with me. But what wrong did I do?

"Anne, you there?" Derrick asked his voice still uncheerful.

"Yes, I'm here," I quickly said.

"You can come over here,"  I said to him when all the scary thoughts were racing in my mind.

"Do you want something to eat," Derrick asked making my stomach grumble.

"Yes, you can bring something, I'm really starving," I said patting my stomach.

What was Derrick going to talk about? I was lost in my thoughts I didn't even know when the time passed away as the doorbell rang.

There was he standing in his all glory, the bag in his hands smelling delicious.

"Are you going to let me in?" Derrick asked eyeing me and then handing me the food bag.

Once he entered inside, I asked him about what he wanted to talk about.

"I... Just," Derrick couldn't complete his words.

"What is it?" I asked getting paranoid.

"I got this job in L.A and I took it, tomorrow morning flight and the workplace is really great," Derrick continued his speech about his new job when my ears go deaf after listening to him, once again I was going to be all alone, what was I going to do.

"Anne, I'm really sorry, I must have talked to you about it before taking this job, but in all excitement of getting this huge opportunity, I forget," Derrick explained.

"Anne, please talk to me," he said.

I can feel my body losing as tears started to run down my eyes, I want to speak but all I can do is croak.

Derrick steps forward his hands now drawing me in closer before I can draw in the air I melted into his form, he pulls his head back and wipes the tears with a calloused finger. I was really tired of getting hurt, but for my selfishness, I could not stop him achieving his dreams.