Chapter Fifty-Three

I could barely see where I was going as I struggled through the overgrown path leading up the hill where Sora lived.

I could barely breathe and my chest felt like a boulder was on it but I kept on going, though still mind full of the straggly grass scratching at my feet.

The beautiful white colour of his porch come into my view not long after but I didn't take another step forward. I was illuminated by the porch light shining out front, too afraid to call him but too desperate not to.

I closed my eyes and embraced the soft glow of light on my skin.

"Sora," I called. "Sora!"

The silence engulfed me in the dead of night but my eyes wondered around my surroundings, vigilant of any danger before I sighed in relief.

I went on his porch and walked up to his door before banging on it a few times.

"Sora!" Desperation laced my voice. "Sora!" I heaved. "Sora!"

Footsteps broke the silence on the other side of the door so I back away until I was at the edge of the porch. The door swung open and Sora stepped out, calm though a little puzzled.

"Fumiko? You're here at this hour?" He questioned.

"I just had to see you." I confessed, while trying to hold back the wildfire of emotions burning in my chest.

"Why, when it's so late in the night?"

"I'm leaving tomorrow." I didn't meet his eyes but I could tell his were frozen on me.

"That's why you've been avoiding me for three days now." He took a few steps towards me, I took a few steps back.

"I've been accepted. The newspaper firm chose me to work with them in their Gonzo journalism group. I'm going to live in the city."

"Okay."

"I was too afraid to tell you, I didn't know what to say but I couldn't sleep, knowing I was going to leave tomorrow morning without seeing your face again."

He was silent, his expression masking any form of emotion that must've been burning inside his heart and mind.

"Good bye, Sora."

"Are you coming back again?"

"I don't think so."

His eyes darkened with sadness but the only thing he did was hold out his hand to me.

"Stay with me for the night."

"I'm not sure if I can."

"Please, I want to hold you one last time before we separate."

My heart wrenched and tightened but I stepped​ forward and took his hand. He pulled me gently to him and held me closely as if I was a precious piece of porcelain, fragile under his touch and easily shattered and lost.

He lead me into the house before closing the door and bringing me to his room.

In the dimness of the room, it dawned on me that this was the last moment of closeness we were going to have together and my eyes watered.

Sora placed a hand on my shoulder, gently slipping off the fabric over it and caressing my skin. I brushed my fingers against his cheek and he took my other hand and pulled me into a soft, sweet, lingering kiss.

We made love in desperation and ecstacy, all memory of departure forgotten in our lustful moment of pleasure.

Our bodies were bathed in moonlight, coating our moment together in ivory.

Sora made love to me unlike any other time before. He took my breath away and claimed my body and spirit as his own, totally captivating and capturing me.

When it was finally over, I curled closely to him while he rested with his forearm over his eyes.

It took me a moment to realize he was crying and sobbing bitterly and I broke into tears watching him.

It was too overpowering, the sadness of our reality, so we embraced and wept together​ in each other's arms, heartbroken.

***

Warmth met my cheeks as I pulled my eyelids open then stared at Sora, daylight dancing through the curtains.

He was so beautiful and innocent, even in sleep.

Tears rolled down my face and fell on his beautiful chest but he didn't wake up, luckily he was still fast asleep.

I put my hand over my mouth to prevent my sobs from escaping too loudly but I was falling apart.

I squeezed back my tears and quickly gathered my clothes before redressing in rushed silence as to not wake him.

If he woke up and I saw his eyes, I would crumble before I could even try to leave. I couldn't leave him if I saw his smile or heard his warm voice. I had to leave before he woke up.

I went up to the door but decided it wasn't fair to leave like this so I returned to his room and put pen to paper, slowly pouring out my feeling for him in simple words.

Dear Sora,

You are the light in my life and the burning flame in my heart.

I cannot imagine living without you but I have to follow my dreams.

When the time comes and I can make up my mind, I'll definitely​ come running to you.

Distance is no object in our love, our hearts are linked together closely​.

I love you and take care.

~Fumiko.

I could only produce a few words but I knew he would definitely understand my reason for leaving him this way.

I placed it beside his nightstand and kissed his cheek before hurrying away from the room and leaving him behind.

***
Sora's Pov

When I woke up, Fumiko was gone.

All I found was a letter, written by her and addressed​ to me on my nightstand. I read it over and over again, taking in each word with tears falling down my face.

She was gone.

I was alone again.

I was broken but a part of me found it hilarious, it didn't matter what I did or how hard I tried, I was always going to be alone.

My chest ached and I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to come to the terms that she was gone but It was as if a blade was rammed through my chest and pinned there and my life was slowly seeping out through the gaping wound.

I unfolded the letter again and read it in the silence of my room.

A smile crept across my face as tears burnt my eyes because even though I wanted her to stay, if she was happy with her choice, I would try to be happy too.

"F-Fumi-" I struggled to say but I gasped, unable to hold back the pain.

I remembered as she ran towards my house, her hair sweeping in the wind with a bright smile glowing on her face as she crashed into my arms.

That was all I could think of.

"Take care as well."

***
To all my Wonderful readers!

Sora & Fumiko will be ending soon!

I hope you all enjoyed this book!