Chapter Forty-Four

Warmth bubbled up in my chest when I thought over all the memories Sora and I had together.

He was always sweet, honest and kind - it was hard to believe he had a troubled past and heart.

I walked towards his house and went onto his porch and waited for him.

"Sora!" I called and looked around.

He came running from the house and as soon as he was near enough to me, he picked me up.

I hugged him tightly and he kissed my cheek.

"Fumiko, I've missed you!"
"Sora, there's something -"

He stole my words with a kiss and I wrapped my arms around his neck. Warmth trickled down inside my chest when I thought about the hot love we made the last time we were like this and my skin caught fire.

He planted another kiss on my mouth but I pulled away when I recalled the reason I was there.

I sat on the porch, trying to find my breath but he sat beside me and pulled me closer to him. He rested his hand on my back and pushed me forward into another overpowering kiss and this time I kissed him back full force and he pushed me to the floor.

We kissed and I held onto his body and ran my hand across his chest. My heart was beating so loudly I could hear it in my ears.

I wanted to be with him again so badly but I pushed myself to stop. I had to know his heart and what was going on with him before we went any further.

"Sora." I said pulling away.

"Shh, It's okay, no one will hear us. Mr. and Mrs. Saito are out in town."

He unbuttoned my blouse while gazing into my eyes hotly.

"Sora, why don't you like your father?"

All the heat and passion between us died almost instantly and the fire in his eyes died down to shock.

He sat upright and gazed into his fields heavily and I pulled myself beside him.

I soothed back down my clothes and rebuttoned my shirt before turning my attention back to him.

"Sora?"

He turned to me and smiled weakly, and I reached for his hand and squeezed it tightly.

"It's alright." His voice was warm but I felt more than compelled to hold him because of how he was but I kept myself at bay.

"What you told me before, I know that he berated you but-"

Sora put a hand on my head and something in his eyes stopped me.

"I'm going to tell you about the life my father and I lived before we moved to the city."

I felt butterflies in my stomach because I couldn't believe Sora was finally going to talk to me about his past.

"When I was five years old, I used to follow my father out to his fields. I would spend hours watching him and even though I never said it, I wanted to be just like him."

I nodded but that was obvious to me because every child wanted to be like their parents.

"I'd watch him reaping and sowing over and over again so one day - when I was six, I decided to give it a try. I took some of his seeds and ploughed a bed and planted them. Everyday before school, I would tend to them and when I got home before dark. He didn't know about it."

What was left of the heat between us was despair and sadness.

I slowly began seeing what Sora was unraveling before me but I hoped it wasn't as bad as I thought.