Chapter Three

"Mom, this is Sora." I said as my mother stared at him with a confused look.

I wondered if she thought he was a bad person, but I didn't think so.

Sora genuinely looked kind and gentle.

Perhaps she was trying to figure out if he was a close friend of mine or not.

Maybe she did.

Wait! If she did, how close did she actually think we were!?

Oh no! she must think he is the reason I ran away.

In order to get things cleared up quickly I said,

"I was lost and I found Sora and he helped me to find my way back here."

My mother still looked at him in confusion, which made me stare at Sora and grip his hand. Then finally she spoke,

"I understand that but, his name is Sora?" Hearing that we looked at each other in surprise then back at her. "My daughter thinks she has a strange name but I guess that meeting you now must have changed her mind." My mother said with a smile and a chuckle.

"Well mom-" But before I could say anything she interrupted

"Here I am laughing, let me introduce myself; my name is Moriko." Just then a man's voice was heard coming from the house.

"Moriko, we can't wait around anymore, I'm calling the police."

"Honey don't worry, she's here." Just then my father came storming from the house and he picked me up and swung me around with such joy that when he put me down I was dizzy. He was smiling uncharacteristically as he hugged me tightly.

"Who is this?" He then said turning away from me, towards Sora.

"His name is Sora" my mother replied with a chuckle.

"That's an interesting name, I wasn't aware that people around here still gave their kids Japanese names." My father said.

"Dad!" I said blushing red, " Sora is not a kid and neither am I anymore."

"Of course you are Fumiko, oh and will your friend be joining us inside." My father said, placing a hand on my head and ruffling my hair.

"I'm sorry but I can't join you, I must be getting back now." Sora replied softly.

"But why?" I said outstretching my hands to clasp his.

"Fumiko lets go inside" I heard my father say in his usual stern voice.

I turned away from Sora and followed my father to the house. On entering my father turned to me suddenly and said "by the way, did you tell your friend Sora thank you?"

My eyes widened in surprise and I ran from the house looking for him but by the time I made it back outside Sora was gone, I was only able to spot a glimpse of his silhouette up the dark street fading into the night.