Chapter Fourteen: Taylor to Kanye

Start from the beginning

"THOMPSON PASS THE BALL TO KNIGHT." Coach yells.

Ryan dribbles the ball away from Landon and passes to Mason instead. Mason shoots perfectly, earning hollers and high fives from the team. Ryan has a smug look on his face, and I know what he's up to. Taylor must do too because she gives me a knowing look and shakes her head.

The game starts again, and this time Carter has the ball. He dribbles it towards the goal but is stopped by two defenders. Landon waves his hands, signalling that he's open. Carter throws him the ball, but at the last second Ryan swoops in and catches the ball. He effortlessly shoots it into the hoop, victory written all over his face.

Taylor leans closer to me. "I really don't know how Lan's keeping his cool."

I fixate my eyes on Landon, who's glare is directly pointed towards Ryan. "Well he looks like he's going to blow any second."

"Hey Coach, seems like your star player's forgot how to play." I love my brother, but he's seriously acting like a giant dick.

Landon scoffs. "Oh I don't know... Seems like the captain's too paranoid that I'll steal the show, so he gets the whole team to not pass the ball to me."

Ryan steps a little closer to him. "Paranoid of you Knight? Oh please."

"What's new, Thompson? I'm sure you haven't forgotten when you were insecure enough to-" Ryan cuts Landon of by punching him square in the jaw. Holy shit.

"Holy shit." Taylor mumbles, mirroring my thoughts exactly.

Landon touches his bruised jaw and laughs. "Truth hurts, Thompson. But c'mon everyone would love to know how-"

"SHUT THE FUCK UP KNIGHT!" Ryan tackles him on to the ground.

I grab Taylor's hand and run towards the basketball court. Landon pins him down on the floor, clearly being the stronger one, and punches Ryan.

I notice that Landon didn't punch Ryan as hard as he could've. Why would he hold back?

Soon Landon's pulled away from Ryan by one of the guys on the team, Mason holds Ryan to stop him from doing anything else. Taylor immediately runs towards Landon and asks him if he's okay.

His eyes flicker over to mine, and for the first time I see some emotion in them. He rips his gaze away from mine, before I can decipher what his eyes were trying to tell me. Taylor and one of our school nurses take him away, despite his protests.

I sigh and walk over to Ryan, shaking my head. I look over at some girls tending to his black eye and telling him how brave he is. Come on, he's my brother and even I know he deserved it.

I roll my eyes at how overdramatic these girls were being. I cough loudly, making sure I get their attention.

"Hi, can you girls sort of stop trying to get into my brother's pants and just beat it?"

They look at me plain horrified, as if I've discovered their darkest secret, and start to walk away. Good call.

"That's my sister." Ryan laughs loudly. His smile reaches the top of his cheek and near his now black eye, making him wince.