36

Darla, Kit, and the rest of the Mikaelsons (plus one Gerard and another Marshall) gathered within the safe confines of the compound, all of them wearing looks of stress and fear. Well, except Kit, that is. He was just happy that he got out of study hall and his girlfriend's super chill family was letting him hang out with them for a while.

Little did he know, indeed.

"Daddy, can you please explain to me what's happening, now?" Darla practically begged, lip slightly quivering as she looked at her father.

Seeing the tell-tale signs of impending waterworks (her bottom lip would always quiver and she would always ball her little hands into tight fists — she'd been like that since she was a baby), Klaus stalked over to her and placed a hand on the back of her neck, while doing the same to Kit.

"You two need to listen to me, listen intently, and make sure you're paying attention," He said in a soft tone, boosting the anxiety of the situation. The teens nodded obediently and looked up at the man, which made it even harder. "No matter what, nothing will happen to you two. We've brought you here to ensure your safety and make sure that despite what may be going on outside of this home, you two will always have each other, and have us. We're all family, always and forever."

Kit was suddenly no longer happy that he ditched study hall. There was something big going on, and he knew that because of his relationship to Darla, it was going to potentially get him hurt. Sensing this, Klaus let go of his hold on Darla as Kol went up to her and guided her away, leaving the two boys alone.

"Come, Kit," Klaus spoke sombrely. "You deserve an explanation, and that is what you will get."

Leading himself and the teen down the hallway and into the library, he sat down across from him and sighed.

"Is everything okay?" Kit asked quietly, not knowing what to make of the situation at hand.

"Once upon a time, a thousand years ago, a Viking merchant and his wife, who was a very powerful witch indeed, travelled to the new world in search of a new life. Among this family were two daughters, and five sons." Klaus began, telling the familiar story. "However, they settled in a town of which there was a different type of people already residing — those who changed from man to beast every full moon."

"Werewolves?"

"Indeed." Klaus answered with a nod before continuing. "One day, the third eldest of the brothers decided to take the youngest of them to watch the pack transform under the full moon... but, unfortunately, tragedy struck, and the youngest of them was a casualty of the shifters. The family was grief stricken — the mother and father especially. And to make sure that no other tragedy could happen to their beloved children, the mother cast a spell to make the children and her husband immortal.

"But immortality came at a price. The family could no longer go in the sun, for it would burn them, they could no longer be in contact with any of the other townspeople, and most of all... they were forced to feed on the blood of fellow humans."

"So they were vampires?" Kit asked, wondering why a story about fictional creatures was relevant to the situation at hand.

"Yes. The first vampires in existence, actually." Klaus nodded. "But... one of them was special. He'd always felt different compared to his siblings, and his father, who was a cruel man to him, didn't help any. But after that third son had killed for the first time, he went through a transformation. One that the other children didn't go through, because, as he had always known. For his mother had an affair whilst his father as away, with a werewolf man. And since the curse is triggered after the first kill, he had learned that he was suddenly more, and so did his father. Being a cruel man to him before this transformation, this only amplified his hatred, and drove him to eventually begin to hate all of his children. Realizing her mistake of cursing her children, the mother made it her mission to fix it and eliminate the evil she had created. So, the siblings fled, and a thousand years later, they remained more or less together while their parents stopped at nothing to end them still. But one day, that came to an end. The parents had been defeated with much struggle, and the siblings were safe. But sometimes, the dead don't stay that way, and the threats come back."