7

"Come on, love," Klaus said, attempting to struggle Darla into her party dress. "If it were up to me, you would be in your pajamas. But your darling Aunt Bex refuses to let you be without it."

"Well, that's not fair," Rebekah spoke, leaning in the doorway. "You're the one who chose the dress. I merely insisted she wear one."

"Either way she hates it." Klaus spoke, picking up his fussy baby. "I still struggle to see what Darla has to do with this matter."

"Darla has everything to do with this matter, Nik. We promised we would come as a family, and a family we shall be. Our little princess is just as much as a Mikaelson as you or me."

"I never said she wasn't."

"Besides," Rebekah smirked. "Would you rather have a sitter take care of her?"

Klaus let out a small growl, making his little sister laugh. He was very over protective over his child, and the mere thought of letting a stranger into his home and leaving them with complete care over the thing he loved most was unsettling to say the least.

"That's what I thought. Now come on, Elijah is waiting."

So reluctantly, Klaus picked up Darla's diaper bag and slung it over his shoulder and followed the blonde original down the stairs, whereupon his older brother stood, looking as dapper as ever.

"So what is this function again?" Klaus asked.

"It is a fundraiser for the arts in the schools, Niklaus." Elijah smiled, tickling Darla lightly. "And as a very prominent, philanthropic family, we were invited to their gala. It seemed fitting, seeing as you are quite the Picasso yourself."

"Ah, yes, the arts programs that are dangerously underfunded that use our generous donations to buy new costumes for the football teams."

"Oh, lighten up, brother," Rebekah laughed, grabbing her clutch. "After all, these are the schools that our little princess will be going to in the future."

"Um, no," Klaus objected. "I see nothing wrong with having her tutored here in the comfort and safety of her own home."

"Now, now," Elijah piped up, smirking at his brother showing an emotion other than anger. "That is a topic to be discussed on another day. This night isn't about us and our quarrels, this is about a night of philanthropy and support for the city we built's future. Shall we?"

So the Mikaelson siblings and the newest addition to the family went to the gala, ready to get the night over and done with as quick as possible. Upon their arrival, they were greeted immediately and treated like royalty. They knew it was because of the fact that they were going to be the biggest benefactors of the night's charities, but nonetheless, they welcomed the hospitality with open arms.

"Good evening, Mr. Mikaelson," One of the founders of the charity greeted Klaus, sending him her most charming smile. "It is an honor to have you here tonight."

"It is an honor to be here." He said back with a fake smile.

He listened as the insufferable woman went on and on, telling him her life story and about the program, but all he wanted to do was rip into her neck and drain her dry. Yet Klaus remained still, listening with false interest and chiming in here and there to make it seem like he was truly invested in the conversation.

"Is she yours?" The woman asked suddenly, catching the hybrid's attention for the first time that night.

"Yes." He smiled genuinely, happy that they were on a topic he could spend forever talking about.

"How old is she?"

"She'll be six months next week."

"She's adorable! What's her name?" The woman gushed.

"Her name is Darla," He smiled. "Say hi, love."

They both smiled happily as Darla babbled in greeting, waving her hands at the obnoxious woman. She had been a very vocal baby so far, but she had yet to say her actual first word. Klaus wasn't worried at all, after reading almost every baby and parenting book that had ever been published, he knew that she was perfectly normal and developing like she should.

"If you don't mind me asking, where's her mother? I saw you arrive with your siblings, but no wife in tow," The woman said with a fake laugh. "Is she in the picture or...?"

"Darla was actually adopted, thank you. No mother, only me." Klaus explained.

"Oh, I see! You really are a charitable man, Mr. Mikaelson, taking in an orphan like that. Especially on your own! Oh, you must be an absolute hit with the ladies!"

"I didn't adopt her because it would help me 'with the ladies', I adopted her because I saw that she was in need of a loving home. She isn't a charity case, ma'am, she is my daughter and adopted or not, she shall be treated as such."

And for the first time that night, she was finally quiet, stunned at his words.

"Goodnight." Klaus said curtly, walking away from the woman before he let his temper get the best of him.

That was also the moment Klaus realized that he had had enough of the boring party. So he signed a check, handed it to someone in charge, and sped home.

Besides, it was passed Darla's bedtime.