29

"Dad, I'll be fine." Darla chuckled as Klaus freaked out, making sure everything was in order before sending her off.

They were stood in the front office of Darla's new school, where she had just been compelled acceptance, much to Klaus' dismay. This was the last thing that he wanted for her, but if she wished it...

"So you have your schedule?"

"Yup."

"Locker combination?"

"Mhm."

"Lunch?"

"Right here."

"Phone? Pepper spray? Vervain?"

"Never leave home without 'em."

"Your father's wilting heart?"

Sighing, Darla rolled her eyes at her father before nodding sarcastically. It was just her and her father in the main office, Kit just outside, waiting so he could walk his sweetheart to her first class.

"Yes, dad. I've got everything."

"Okay, then." Klaus said awkwardly, for the first time in his thousand years feeling helpless. "Just make sure that you stick with Kit the whole day, okay? And I want you home by no later than 3:30. Because if you're not home by then, Darla Hope, I will assume the worst and heads will roll. Call me to check in okay?"

Darla nodded, knowing that if she began to speak, her voice would break and she'd be taken home immediately, all chances of having a normal life being thrown out the window. More importantly, she just didn't want to break her father's heart even more. So she did what she had been holding back the entire morning. She leapt on him, holding on for dear life.

"I love you, daddy."

At her four words, he almost broke down himself. He'd just gotten her back and now she was already so independent and in no real dire need of him. She was sixteen years of age now. She was going off to school, meeting boys, probably going to be the most popular girl in school, not to mention how she was in no need of his protection from the dangers of the real world. Rebekah had done a beautiful job at raising her, and he could not have wished for anything else than the woman she had become.

But he was wrong. Darla, although independent and grown up enough to make her own decisions, was scared. She was her daddy's little girl, and just as he'd just gotten her back, she'd gotten him back as well. She almost didn't want him to leave her, despite her protests of such. She sighed and relaxed in his warm embrace as he hugged back, holding his child as tight as he could.

"I love you too, my beautiful little girl."

He felt a stray tear slip from his eye before deciding that he was being silly. She was only going to be gone for eight hours, not another fifteen years. It wasn't like she was going off to college or something.

Wait. College was only two years away.

He gave her a tighter squeeze than he had been before letting her go and composing himself. Noticing tears of her own, he sent a small smile and wiped them for her.

"You're going to kick this school's ass, darling." He said encouragingly, a wicked smile on his face. "And remember this, my littlest wolf: you're a Mikaelson. Raise a little hell."

"Haven't ever stopped." She smiled back.

"That's my girl. Now go, before I change my mind and kidnap you away from this place and lock you in that tower I've been building―"

"Dad!"

"Joking!" He said, holding his hands up in surrender. "...Sort of."

"Goodbye, dad."

"Love you, Darla."

"Love you, too."

And with one last kiss to the forehead and longing glance, Klaus exited the door of which he came and let Darla exit the one that led to the school, joining Kit with a happy, yet anxious, smile. Suddenly, he was filled with that same feeling of dread that he had felt since the first time she spoke his name or took her first steps.

"Don't grow up too fast, love." He spoke softly into the air as she sent him one last wave. "Just let me enjoy your life while I can."